Post surgery depression or........

Newchapter
on 3/31/16 9:39 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

Hi guys and gals. I could use a little help. For the most part, I've been feeling great. That was until today. Im going on 9 days post op and I feel like poo. Im finally getting a little bit of an appetite, but nothing appeals to me. I've been doing so well, I was allowed to start puréed foods, but I just cant seem to get satisfied and after a bite or two, I throw it out. My biggest worry is I'm headed back to work tomorrow. How can I function if I'm not eating? Any advice, favorite foods, motivational speeches, or anything at all to get me through? I'm a big girl so I'll even accept a little tough love. I know I rely on you all a lot, even for little stuff, but unfortunately you guys are all the support system I have. Hope all of you have a fabulous weekend!!  

luvmypuggies
on 3/31/16 10:17 pm

A few things come to mind for me when reading your post:

1. From reading this board, I've learned that a lot of people experience some emotional upheaval after surgery, and it has something to do with hormones being released as the fat disappears. Also, it could be just the post-excitement-back-to-the-grind bummer-ness.  Surgery is over, and now the work begins for real. 
  2. Think of this journey as a job.  Make a plan (specific food/nutrients and exercise), write it down, and make it your job to follow the plan.  Don't overthink or consider whether or not you feel like it - just do it!
  3. Do not skimp on protein and water requirements!
  4. Hang in there! There is such a huge learning curve to figure out this new way of life, so chin up, and don't be bummed if you don't figure it all out overnight. :)
Newchapter
on 4/2/16 5:15 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

Was just rereading this. I wish I could "like" it more than once. Thank you so much for the reply. 

White Dove
on 4/1/16 2:25 am - Warren, OH

At this point you only need a bite or two.  Your body will burn its stored fat and you will be fine.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Newchapter
on 4/1/16 6:09 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

Thanks for the input but that might be the case fur some. I came very close to passing out at the store on Tuesday. My surgeon and nutritionist both say it's because I'm not getting enough calories. At this point I've pretty much been living in water and Popsicles. 

Bufflehead
on 4/1/16 4:19 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Don't worry about "not eating" or not being able to function without calories. That is what your fat stores are for. On the other hand, you should definitely be striving to hit your hydration and protein goals each day. If you feel like you need to just keep sipping protein shakes instead of eating pureed food, that is absolutely fine (at least as per most post-op plans). Advancing to the next stage and managing to eat "more food" is not a race -- you don't need to push yourself if you are not ready. Good luck!

dobermanleloo
on 4/1/16 5:24 am
VBG on 02/10/16

This is the food I took to work with me. I had 1.5 weeks off. I brought several different flavors of protein shakes, SF jello's, box of popsicle's SF. I lived on the shakes and popsicle's mostly loved them. I was really tired at work mostly in the afternoon but pretty damn happy to be back in my normal routine. You'll do great!

Newchapter
on 4/1/16 6:11 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a hairstylist so time doesn't always allow for a sit down meal so these are great on the go ideas. I did have a pretty righ afternoon, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Thanks again. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 4/1/16 5:27 am - MI

The blues can happen post op. Are you taking a PPI? Perhaps you have head hunger. I'm 18 months out and my appetite just slightly started to return. You said it yourself, you're a big girl.....with that being said, drink what you should, eat what you should and stick to your plan. It may be a few weeks where nothing appeals to you, but for your own health eat and drink and stick to your plan! It gets better, easier and it will soon be your new normal. You just have to get thru the next few weeks! You can do it! Think about all the new clothes you're going to buy and how wonderful you're going to feel. 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Newchapter
on 4/1/16 6:22 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

I am on a ppi and according to both the nutritionist and my surgeon, some do experience actual hunger a week or so after surgery, as the swelling goes down. I'm not wanting anything that's not in the plan, it's just the only thing I'm actually finding that I like enough to have is water and sf Popsicles. I'm not complaining at all, I'm very happy I have this opportunity so I am not willing to do anything to screw it all up. I just know as a busy hairstylist on my feet all day, I need to have a little more than water and Popsicles to get me through the day. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I became very lightheaded while out on Tuesday. The surgeon and nutritionist both said it was because I'm not getting enough calories. So I guess I was hoping maybe someone could give me new ideas of puréed foods to try, since my choices aren't cutting it for me. I'll figure something out though. Thanks for the response. 

Most Active
Recent Topics