2 weeks post op - still have some congestion

LisaP2016
on 3/29/16 8:36 pm
VSG on 03/14/16

I had my surgery (sleeve) on 3/14/16...I felt ok after surgery...but 1 day post op noticed I was having a little trouble breathing (I had asthma as a child & adult...but no problems for 12+ yrs...and have had a few other surgeries without any problem) hospital gave me a couple of breathing treatments and it helped alot...I did have a harder time walking for long...ended up having to get an inhaler...haven't had to have one of those for years!  I only needed it for about the first 5 days post op...haven't needed it since...but I still have some congestion...not like a cold & not having any breathing problems...but just congested cough...sounds like a smokers cough & I haven't smoked for 25 years....has anyone else had the congested cough like this?  I feel fine....just feel pooped after walking up my stairs....no fever...no other problems..what gives?

hollykim
on 3/30/16 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 30, 2016 at 3:36 AM Pacific Time, LisaP2016 wrote:

I had my surgery (sleeve) on 3/14/16...I felt ok after surgery...but 1 day post op noticed I was having a little trouble breathing (I had asthma as a child & adult...but no problems for 12+ yrs...and have had a few other surgeries without any problem) hospital gave me a couple of breathing treatments and it helped alot...I did have a harder time walking for long...ended up having to get an inhaler...haven't had to have one of those for years!  I only needed it for about the first 5 days post op...haven't needed it since...but I still have some congestion...not like a cold & not having any breathing problems...but just congested cough...sounds like a smokers cough & I haven't smoked for 25 years....has anyone else had the congested cough like this?  I feel fine....just feel pooped after walking up my stairs....no fever...no other problems..what gives?

it is not unusual to have some congestion after surgery, but yo need to move it. You have to breath deep and cough, even if it hurts. I mean deep breaths, all the way down to your belly. 

This is the time pneumonia can set in so do it often.

Rafa
on 3/30/16 7:31 am
VSG on 03/16/16

Something that helped me with my breathing was a simple breathing exerciser they sent me home with. I'd do it twice a day just 10-15 pulls each time. It really helped me get over the coughing and breathing issues.

There is nothing we cannot accomplish with determination and willpower.

Rafa
on 3/30/16 7:32 am
VSG on 03/16/16

Here's a picture of mine, they come in many shapes and forms I believe this is the simplest of them all.

http://www.medonthego.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/ab4457.jpg&maxx=500&maxy=0

There is nothing we cannot accomplish with determination and willpower.

Most Active
Recent Topics