Pre-op diet, I didn't get one?

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/16 1:19 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

It's a blessing and a curse really that you had no pre-op diet. A blessing because the pre-op diet can suck, mine was 4 weeks long the first 2 weeks were 3-4 shakes a day and one solid low calorie/carb/high protein meal. Then 11 days of just liquid so 4-5 protein shakes a meal and then 3 days of clear liquid only so water, broth, Popsicles and jello. I was so hungry by day of surgery and I worked up until the night before surgery in an office during the holidays so there was consistently food around tempting me. But I got through it, it helped shrink my liver a lot and my surgery was safe and smooth. I think it made the post op weeks of shakes and thinned down yogurt easier because I was already used to having a lot of protein shakes. It's a curse because you have not trained yourself to get off the carbs (soda and bread/crust from pizza) and that will make your post op harder for you than some, but it sounds like you are doing fine so far. Just remember soda and sugar juices etc post op are bad news bears so do your best to break yourself of that habit. You should only be drinking your calories when it's in the form of a protein shake.

paflyersgal
on 3/29/16 9:09 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I didn't have a pre-op diet. I however had a 6 month supervised diet with a nutritionist, who helped me learn how to eat after surgery. The only pre-op rules I had was clear liquids for 24 hours the day before surgery and the day after surgery. My surgery was laparoscopic, and I only spent one night in the hospital. 

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics