3 days post op with Painful hiccups and gas buildup from tiny sips of protein shakes :(

Lindseydean1992
on 3/27/16 5:45 pm

I am now 3 days post op and much better than before and now getting out of bed by myself but every time I hiccup my entire torso and esophagus gets so painful and every time I try to sip some of my protein shake thru out the day I get so much gas build up and it causes me to hurt but then i finally burp and its a bit better but I would like to have no discomfort when drinking a shake. Any advice??

Newchapter
on 3/27/16 5:52 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

I struggle from the same exact thing with everything I drink. I do think the hiccups have let up some, but the burping. Ugh.   Unfortunately I've never learned to make myself burp as a kid, so if it doesn't happen on its own, it's awful. I do find some comfort in the Gas X strips.  Hopefully someone will reply with something that can help us both. Good luck!!  

Sammy_85
on 3/27/16 7:34 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

The gas will go away eventually, it just takes time. Make sure you are taking tiny sips and wait a few minutes between them. Walk around as much as you can to disperse the gas; that is what helped me the most. You are only 3 days post-op so try to be patient as your stomach heals. Drinking will be much easier soon.

happyteacher
on 3/28/16 6:46 am

You just need time. You still have gas in you from surgery. Then comes the phase where things will feel like they get stuck in your throat. After a while, that all goes away. Just hang in there. Glad to read you are feeling a bit better otherwise.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

pdxwoman
on 3/28/16 7:49 am
VSG on 03/21/16

Hi,

I am about 1 week out from surgery and yes drinking water hurt as it was moving into my stomach and displacing the gas.. It hurt but I heat up the water slightly and for some reason it felt better.. The gas is getting better but my lower abdomen sounds like a thunder and lightning storm but that is starting to calm down.

On the hiccups I am try to just calm down my diaphragm, i just focus on slow and even breathing. It's hard though..

yes, it does get better.

mtokane2012
on 3/28/16 10:08 pm
VSG on 02/23/16

Don't use a straw to drink if you are because you get air from it into your stomach. Gas is normal after surgery and it will get a lot better after a week or so. Also take small drinks and try not to have air in your mouth when you swallow. I also use dissolvable gas-x strips they work pretty well. Hope this helps you!  

TheNewT
on 3/29/16 9:24 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I had to walk while I drank. And I don't mean a leisurely stroll, I was moving it! It definitely helped with the gas in the beginning, middle, and now.

Most Active
Recent Topics