Instant Pot Yogurt- Who knew??

alouisa63
on 3/24/16 4:44 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I'm heating milk right now and this will be the ...6th I think?  Generation and the flavor is still good for me!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

NYMom222
on 3/25/16 2:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have been making my own yogurt for years and have found Dannon to be a very good starter. Many yogurts say they have active cultures but have had failed yogurt with certain brands. Dannon, Stonyfield and recently I used some from Aldi-greek and it came out fine.

Love making it in the instapot now.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Aleyna1228
on 4/1/16 8:01 pm

So this has nothing to do with yogurt but everything to do with the instant pot.  I was just looking at them on Amazon and they now have an 8 quart for about $60 more than the 6 quart.  With  your love and knowledge of the instant pot I thought I would see if you think it's worth it? Assuming you have the 6 quart size do you ever find yourself wishing it was bigger?

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

happyteacher
on 4/2/16 7:33 pm

Ugh- I really must warn you that I am not very good at giving unbiased opinions on if size matters. What can I say, I love them big ;) I think instead I will answer it in how I use it versus family size. That may be more helpful for you. I have 3 people living full time in my household and there is plenty of size with the 6 quart. I have only used it a few times to feed my full family plus a date, so 6... still worked well enough. If I had my kids plus my exchange students though, the 6 quart would be small and for sure I would want the 8 quart. 

But, to completely contridict myself- If I could only choose 1 then I would get the 8 quart. I have in addition to my IP, several stove top models gthat are also used a lot. My big 10 quart has been invaluable for making huge batches, stock, etc. My smaller 4 quart ones get used for sides if my IP is working on the entree. 

I don't mind spending money on gadgets like this- espeically if I know I will use it a lot like the IP. I will for sure purchase a second pot, but am vascilating between the 8 quart or the bluetooth. The bluetooth model intrigues me because it can handle Sous Vide (spelling is off) adn I think I would like to play with that. But that is my kitchen gadget disease addiction talking so until I can decide between the 8 quart and the blueetooth I simply purchase a second (ceramic) pan for my 6 quart Ip. I do want two though- the yogurt ties up my IP and there are just a lot of times I wish I had two. Just having a tough time finding permanent counter space for two though given the clutter of all my other kitchen gadgets. I want to put the bread machine in the garage. Back before vsg I used it constantly, but now we barely eat bread. Still use it enough to keep it, but it is not worth of permanent prime real estate. But my husband is attached to it, so we will see. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Aleyna1228
on 4/3/16 7:32 pm

Lol your right size does matter but sometimes its all in how you plan to use it!     Thanks so much for your input. I greatly appreciate your detailed response and will take it all into consideration as I make my decision. If the 8 quart would be as discounted as the 6 on Amazon that would make it so much easier. 

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

happyteacher
on 4/4/16 9:16 am

Perhaps if you hold off for a month or so, some of them will be returned and resold via the Warehouse deals- you may save 25% or more that way. Not sure how long it takes for them to cycle back through. I do know that the folks on the Facebook group are salivating over it, so if something hits the warehouse deal it will be sold almost immediately, so check frequently :)  If they had the 8 quart with bluetooth that would be my first choice hands down! As far as footprint- it is only 1 inch wider and I think 1 inch taller than the 6 quart, so not much more counterspace for a lot more capacity. 

I made soup yesterday thinking about your post- I only used maybe half of the capacity and we had leftovers enough for two meals (4 people eating with seconds). The 6 quart really can hold quite  a bit if you want to save a little cash. 

I will be interviwing for a job here shortly in my building. If I end up getting it then I am going to buy the 8 quart just so I can make lunch for the staff every so often- cheap, healthy, easy, and a great option to boost morale! And of course it is a great excuse to buy it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics