Clear Liquids for 1 month! Help!!!

Fashionmonica123
on 3/23/16 6:49 pm
VSG on 03/15/16

Hello! This is my first post on the forums and I'm super excited to join the community!

So I am just about 1 week post Vsg surgery, everything went well and I am feeling energized and ready to go! Only problem is that I am feeling so anxious on my clear liquid diet! My doctor wants me on clear liquids (water, broths, and juices****il April 15th! I do not know how I will survive, I am not hungry but my food cravings are ruling my day! I can not imagine doing this for 3 more weeks, I must say that the fact that I lost 30 pounds the first week alone has me so excited for whats to come but even that isnt even keeping me from dreaming of a meal! I know I can make it but are there any tips on what can help? I need some advice :)

LOTS OF LOVE

M

luvmypuggies
on 3/23/16 9:58 pm

Congrats on your surgery!  Wow, I'm amazed that you're stuck on clear liquids for a whole month.  I think that's pretty unusual, but I'm not an expert and I assume your doc has a reason for doing it this way.  Does he have you adding protein of some kind?  A whole month of no protein sounds a little iffy to me, but as I said, I'm no expert - maybe someone else will jump in with more info on that.

Can you have sugar-free jello?  I still have that sometimes as a dessert. Hang in there - you can do this!  It feels like a long time now, but you'll look back later and be amazed at how fast times flies.

Fashionmonica123
on 3/24/16 12:04 am
VSG on 03/15/16

Thanks for your reply! I am able to have protein shakes, jello, and Popsicles. Everything my doctor said sounded like a month on this diet and then puréed foods! But after you saying that it sounds so unusual I will be calling the doctors office this week just to verify! No need to suffer on liquid diet longer than need lol. If you don't mind me asking how long did your doctor have you on liquid diet? And then puréed diet? Thanks again for your help :) 

lots of love 

KansasPrincess
on 3/24/16 8:19 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

my dr had my food stages in 10 day increments. 10 days all liquid. 10 days full liquids (pudding and  jello) then 10 days pureed food and then solid foods

califsleevin
on 3/24/16 9:52 am - CA

That sounds more like a post-op progression with the move to pureed, etc. (and even at that, a month of clear liquids is a long time.) My doc's plan was for liquids, mushes/purees and soft proteins as tolerated from the hospital on out to the first month with everything else added as tolerated after that.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

luvmypuggies
on 3/24/16 8:03 pm

Sorry, I missed that you had replied and asked a question!  Did you talk to your doc yet?  My post-op plan was something like 1 week clear liquids, 1 week all liquids (protein shakes, etc), 1 week pureed, 1 week soft food, and then gradually adding back "regular" food as tolerated.  That seems to be a pretty typical plan from my two years of reading this board. :)  Protein is so essential, so I'm hoping you misunderstood your original instructions!

Fashionmonica123
on 3/25/16 10:37 am
VSG on 03/15/16

I did talk to my doctors office. So I guess I did misunderstand but not totally wrong. So I am on a liquid diet for 4 weeks with strained soups, protein shakes, jello, Popsicles, water etc. anything liquid! It's still a struggle though!!! Wi**** wasn't for a whole month!! But thanks for your post! 

luvmypuggies
on 3/25/16 12:06 pm

I'm glad to hear it isn't clear liquids for a month!!  Check the blog called Eggface for lots of ideas about getting through the liquid/pureed food phase.  She's got a really super blog with lots of info, resources, recipes, encouragement, etc. Hang in there! :)

Darcy G.
on 3/23/16 11:49 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Oh my gosh, I'm horrified on your behalf! A month sounds like a mighty long time for such low protein to me too.

Only advice: stocks seem to have more protein than broths do, but even still... you'd have to drink a bathtub of chicken stock to get the level of protein per day my surgeon wants.

Oh, and there are those clear protein drinks at GNC(Isopure), if you can get to GNC. I haven't tried them, and I'll admit I've heard they're terrible tasting--but a lady I watch on YouTube pours one into her daily vat of Crystal Light, which helps conceal the flavor and gets her protein while sipping her 64 oz.

I know you're not feeling hunger and you're worried about head hunger, but not getting enough protein will probably make you feel really run down. So that's all I got! That and lots of well-wishes for you.

(also, congrats on your surgery and your 30 pounds. That's flippin' amazing.)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/24/16 5:13 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

They are awful lol. I tried them once simply because of having as much protein as they do (I think its like 20-40g?). I reluctantly finished it because of how expensive it was lol

Crystal light is a good idea to mix with it.

Most Active
Recent Topics