Pre-Op Diet -- Day 2 & 3 Report

Darcy G.
on 3/23/16 4:13 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Kairk nailed it: Day 2 was worse than Day 1 was or Day 3 has been. But it wasn't unimaginably horrendous.

Day 2:

• Yes, I did drink THREE steaming cups of broth, which I do not love.
  • Yes, I ate two massive bowls of such jiggly jello that even I felt a little better about the state of my thighs... Also, I do not love jello.
  • Drank approximately 112 ounces of water.
  • The size of my salad might have been a bit questionable... but it only had (per the box) 1.25 servings of mixed greens, some fresh mushrooms, a handful of broccoli slaw mix for texture, and an ounce of homemade red wine vinaigrette... with 3 ounces of baked chicken breast. But I actually kept the full feeling from it for about 13 hours...  So overnight and through half the morning on Day 3.

Day 3:

• Didn't start out hungry, on account of that massive salad.
  • Have had no broth yet, one serving of chewy jello, and two shakes...
  • Only 48 oz of water in addition to that so far, but the crazy people with whom I live brought home Arby's for dinner... and I can smell it, and I don't feel inclined.

So Day 3 seems like an easier day. I'm taking it as a win. And then I'm taking a nap. I'm doing all this on the heels of flu last week, which turned into a sinus infection & bronchitis this week... And handling all that while trying to write my ninth book in the two weeks leading up to surgery, along with all the 2hr drives to Columbus beginning next week, and the filter that's going in Friday... THROUGH THE NECK. That bit is wigging me out a bit. Never before have I so longed for someone to stab me in the groin area with a sharp implement.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/16 5:13 pm

Love that Day 3 is going well. It will be smooth sailing from here on out, if you maintain your focus. The physical part of food withdrawal is pretty much done now! YAY! You just have to maintain your vigilance about the emotional hungers that can pop up. 

Congrats on having a great first 3 days. I must say, I find your positive attitude and your willingness to put in the hard work inspiring to me! Your "can do" attitude reminds me of me when I was early in the process. Hang on to that drive. It will take you where you want to go. 

Oh, btw, that last sentence sort of made me cringe. Owwwwwww........

Darcy G.
on 3/23/16 11:37 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I like the word focus, it's much nicer than OBSESSIVE... which I've been kind of labeling myself throughout all this. Anytime something changes(like the six months through nutrition counseling), I seem to fixate on it to the point of distraction, at least until I can fully absorb/incorporate it. I'm really hoping that the next 12-18 months aren't like that all the time. I won't get anything else done! But thank you for the compliment, I'll take reminding you of you as my gold star for the day.

Randomly, I think not ever waiting until I'm screaming-hungry is what's making this doable for me. If I go too long without throwing shake/broth/jello down my gullet to the point of ravenous, it's very very hard to feel satisfied with just a shake or whatever. But if I slurp something down at the first sign of hunger, it's a lot easier to maintain that level keel and not reach for the carbs. Paying attention and being prepared might be the only weapons in this giving me a sense of optimism about it!

(Yeah, that last sentence was completely designed to make people cringe... I  couldn't miss that opportunity: When is it *ever* preferable to be stabbed in the groin area with something rather than the neck?)

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Neesie57
on 3/23/16 10:55 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Congratulations on making it through day 3, each day will be easier for you, now that you made it this far.  You'll be ready for the surgery before you know it.  Good luck, and please keep us apprised of how you're doing.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Darcy G.
on 3/23/16 11:40 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Thank you, and I will report in Friday, providing this neck stabbing doesn't land me in either the ICU or a straight jacket :)

Neesie57
on 3/26/16 11:23 am
VSG on 08/04/15

Hi Darcy, how did the neck stabbing go?

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Darcy G.
on 3/26/16 3:47 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Very kind to ask. I should have posted here, it was just randomly tucked into another thread, I think. But I'm gonna blame the drugs :)

They got me all tarted up for a proper neck-stabbing(yay for having a blue, itchy neck for the rest of the day) and left my head under a drape cloth for about half an hour... while I got progressively itchier in the blue painted bits... but then when they came back to me, they just took the drape off and started untucking the other cloths and I was like... what's up? All out of the kit for going in through the neck, so they were going through the groin after all.

Then they commenced with that prep-work(good god, the shaving...), gave me medicine to make my eyes cross, and then wheeled the screen in front of me so I could watch the running x-ray thing they use to guide it. Was pretty neat actually. Didn't hurt at all. Then I had to lay flat for three hours(coumadin...), my heart waited until I was stuck unable to even lift my head to keep going out of rhythm. The heart monitor kept pinging in that OMG YOU'RE DYING manner... but I'm okay.

They eventually let me go home yesterday evening. I've now waited 24 hours and am fixin' to have a shower(baths are not allowed yet), and to take off the dressing(which I'm a little iffy about)... I'm also pretty sore, considering it didn't hurt at all at the time, and surprisingly tired. I'm not allowed to drive until Monday, which is lucky since I need to make the 2+ hour drive to Columbus to meet with my surgeon Monday. I expect that to pretty much take the whole day. I go back later in the week for all the pre-admission testing, which will be another washed day :) But it's getting closer.

Oh, and yesterday not being able to have anything to drink at all until late afternoon? Really really made this liquid diet suck. I have been ravenous ever since then, eating jello and drinking broth like a starving man stuck at the worst buffet in history.  I just can't seem to get in front of the hunger. Today has been just as bad as yesterday... and way way worse than Day 2.  I am not loving it.

Most Active
Recent Topics