Day 2, Pre-Op Diet

Darcy G.
on 3/22/16 5:36 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Hey y'all,

I started my pre-op diet yesterday. I think I did alright with it. One thing I did mess up was my vitamins. Because of my coumadin, I take vitamins without Vitamin K in them(I get plenty of it already), and that pretty much meant one brand of vitamins that was available here where I live, in Podunkville. Gummies. (Which I actually pretty much loathe... I hate gummy bears and the like.) I took them--having developed the habit the past 8 months during my lead-up. So carbs...

Other than that, I did well. I had two shakes, some sugar-free jello(which wasn't as bad as I remember it), a bit of broth(which really sucked), and my plan allows for a small bit of lean meat and a salad for dinner(with a list of allowable stuff in it).  I could've had a third shake but didn't feel I needed it. I didn't have any horrendous cravings or a headache, but maybe that was due to the gummy-carb-vitamins... Waiting to see if the carb withdraw strikes today instead.

I have read loads of pre-op diet threads about the first three days sucking out loud, then it all getting better. But was the first day usually the light day? I'm wondering if I've either put my carb-carb-carbitis into remission with months of good strict dieting, or if today's going to whomp me as soon as I leave the house? :)

ocean4dlm
on 3/22/16 5:50 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Dear Darcy-

Your post made me smile !   How refreshing to hear someone taking this pre-op time seriously... and not just the two weeks leading up to surgery.  There is a good chance that eating healthy "for months" has already gone a long way toward avoiding  the dreaded sugar/carb detox now.  You have given yourself a tremendous gift, by using this time to think about your relationship with food and developing healthy habits.  You will be a rock star !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Darcy G.
on 3/22/16 10:33 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Yay rock star! I was hoping that it wasn't going to get super ugly suddenly. I guess I just always assume crash position, you know? But when I went out to do doctor running(IVC filter being placed Friday...), my only complaint was: I have to pee every five seconds. And it was kind of annoying that there was some kind of wicked charred meat smell coming from the restaurant on the corner as I drove past. But I drank a shake I had with me and all was well. Home now with my jello and broth... not really physically hungry, but having some head hunger. I want to chew. Think I'm going to try and make the next jello batch EXTRA CHEWY. Somehow. There has to be a way to do that.

Y'all are awesome. I feel like such a big baby with all the posting and hand-holding, but it *does* help!

xx

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/22/16 6:53 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Just use less water your jello will be more firm and chewy.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/16 8:51 am

Great job! I, too, spent the time between meeting my surgeon and my surgery date eating well and losing weight. I did well enough that I didn't even have to do a pre-op diet. Just a day of clear liquids and shakes the day before surgery. I think taking the time before my surgery really helped me understand what was going to be needed post surgery. It sounds to me like you're doing a great job preparing yourself for your future. sleeved life.  

I wouldn't worry one bit about the carbs in the gummy vitamins. They are negligible. Is there a chance that you could order vitamins with out Vitamin K on line and have them delivered? That way you could avoid the gummies! 

Oh, traditionally Day 2 of a detox is always the worst for me. If you start having some issues today, push the water, drink herbal teas, coffee, and get some SF popsicles - they seem to help me a lot. 

You're off to a great start! Keep it up! 

Darcy G.
on 3/22/16 10:43 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I was cranky about that six month diet at first. LIke... I learned all that I needed to learn in the first three months, but learning and being hyper-focused on the task is one thing, and then when it's easy to know what you can and cannot eat... somehow it gets easier to consider going off plan. I think it's just about the attention and focus, but those extra three months of accountability helped make what I logically knew into a habit I practiced and continued on in the three months that it took to get everything else together for insurance, submitting, resubmitting... so I've been at eating this way since May of last year pretty much. There have been stumbles, but they never derailed me long. Always right back on the horse.

I'm going to ask the surgeon on Monday what vitamins he wants me to use while healing(I think they've got liquid ones...), and then after that I'm going to look for alternatives online. I just hate to buy a lot then find them intolerable. The non-gummy multis I found that had no K in them are huge and you have to take two... and after I took them it looked like I was mainlining TANG (soooo orange at tinkle-time!TMI but...) that I just kind of stuffed them away(also unpleasant aftertaste). I could go back to them the next two weeks but I know I'd find reasons not to take them. So just going to wait until Monday and see what the Dr says. I'll be in Columbus, so I expect he can direct me somewhere in the city to find some variety.

Day 2 has been okay so far but it's still early. And I am scarfing loads of orange jello.

One down, sixteen days to go.

Most Active
Recent Topics