revision questions (band to sleeve)

myfreshstart
on 3/21/16 11:10 am

I had a band put in in 10/2011. All it did for me was maintain. On the positive it helped me not regain weight lost before surgery. On the huge negative it didn't halp me lose anything further. I'm considering revising to a sleeve (if insurance approves). I'm tempted to go to bypass tho (scared sleeve may not work either). Has anyone here had this type of issue, where the band didn't help wit weight loss and then you revised to a sleeve an had success? Please share with me. I'm so afraid there's no help for me.

mmsmom
on 3/21/16 11:42 am - Woburn, MA

I had a band from 2007 to 2014  - did have success with it for a time but then after many fills and unfills, had trouble choking on saliva at night. The band had to come out.  With the band I was able to lose about 60 lbs and get to about 40 lbs over my ultimate goal - When the trouble started, they emptied my band and had significant regain.  Had band taken out, rested stomach for 6-8 weeks and got the sleeve - have lost 88 lbs and now weigh in the 120s - lowest about 121.  The sleeve is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone.

VSG on 04/28/2014

hphelps77
on 3/21/16 12:58 pm
Revision on 10/13/15

I had lapband surgery in 2005 and lost 86 lbs but had complications over the years so in Sept of 2015 I had it removed and was sleeved in Oct. 2015. People said that with the sleeve you wouldn't be hungry and some people even told me they would forget to eat, this has NEVER happened to me from day one. I am and have always been hungry from the start. Most people also say they can't eat but a couple of ounces at a time but once again, this hasn't been the case for me either. I've always been able to eat more than I should be able to before I get full. I'm still not eating as much as I did before my sleeve, but I've only lost 20 lbs so far which is very depressing. So I guess you can say I'm a two time WLS failure and it hasn't helped me as much as I'd like but it has  worked for a lot of other people and everyone else seems to be very happy with it. This is just MY experience though and I'm not saying it won't work for you. While I was researching the sleeve before I got mine, I found more people who were successful than those who were not which led me to believe it would work that way for me too. But everybody is different and has different experiences. On a positive note, I haven't had any reflux which I suffered from severely with the band so I'm very grateful for that and pray it never comes back! Good luck with whatever you decide!

hphelps77
on 3/21/16 1:11 pm
Revision on 10/13/15

I had lapband surgery in 2005 and lost 86 lbs but had complications over the years so in Sept of 2015 I had it removed and was sleeved in Oct. 2015. People said that with the sleeve you wouldn't be hungry and some people even told me they would forget to eat, this has NEVER happened to me from day one. I am and have always been hungry from the start. Most people also say they can't eat but a couple of ounces at a time but once again, this hasn't been the case for me either. I've always been able to eat more than I should be able to before I get full. I'm still not eating as much as I did before my sleeve, but I've only lost 20 lbs so far which is very depressing. So I guess you can say I'm a two time WLS failure and it hasn't helped me as much as I'd like but it has  worked for a lot of other people and everyone else seems to be very happy with it. This is just MY experience though and I'm not saying it won't work for you. While I was researching the sleeve before I got mine, I found more people who were successful than those who were not which led me to believe it would work that way for me too. But everybody is different and has different experiences. On a positive note, I haven't had any reflux which I suffered from severely with the band so I'm very grateful for that and pray it never comes back! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Valerie G.
on 3/22/16 4:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

That's all any diet ever did for me in the past (sustain current weight, but not lose).  If the band didn't work for you, I wouldn't expect much more from the sleeve.  What I needed was a metabolic kick in the pants.  The sleeve has a little, the bypass has much more, and the mack-daddy of metabolism change comes with the DS, and by-golly, it worked.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

myfreshstart
on 3/24/16 10:27 am

I've been reading a lot and it seems it is believed that the sleeve causes a metabolic reset just as the rny does. My insurance doesn't cover the DS for BMI under 50. I'm worried that rny and its side effects may be too drastic a surgery since I only need to lose 100lb. But on the other hand I'm scared to death of the sleeve not working either. You are right tho, the band seems to be nothing more than a diet. No real changes in body workings. Sadly, that never came up in research before I had the band or I'd not have done it.

Most Active
Recent Topics