As my date gets closer the more scared I am. Please help me work this out in my head

Momofthreeinwis
on 3/22/16 3:29 am
VSG on 05/04/16

In Madison WI ...what about you? What are your stats? We need to keep in touch!

Momofthreeinwis
on 3/22/16 6:58 am
VSG on 05/04/16

Madison WI!!! We need to keep in touch!  Where are you having it done?  What are your stats?  My HW was 286. CW 277.  I start the pre-op diet on 4/19.

Sandra F.
on 3/22/16 5:55 am

People who have never struggled with obesity simply do not understand.  They think that you can lose weight by limiting calories and exercise alone.  Those of us that tried those methods, and tried those methods and tried those methods, know that it is not that easy.  My mom didn't want me to have the surgery, but for a different reason.  She was not comfortable with my doing it in Mexico.  But I let her delay me by 6 or 7 years because of her protests and I wish I had stuck to my guns and done this sooner.  It is truly the best thing I have ever done for myself.  You won't be able to eat out for a little while after surgery (have to stick to surgeon's diet plan), but I eat out on a regular and usually share meals with my husband.  Oh, and by the way, I have been married for almost 20 years and hopefully am not planning a divorce anytime soon.  Don't let others *****ally do not understand your struggles influence your decision.  Good luck to you.

ChristyO
on 3/22/16 6:07 am
RNY on 02/01/16

You have been given a tremendous opportunity to do something for yourself please remember that there are thousands and thousands of people who are not able to get the surgery because a lot of insurances won't pay for it. Are they go through the whole approval process and still don't get approved  a lot of people have cried because of that  become depressed felt pretty hopeless .  Anyone I know that's done the surgery has told me it was the best thing they ever did for themselves I was encouraged by them to get it done and not overthink it.  I eat out with friends whenever I want to and I just take the leftovers home I've had no problems eating out also I won't end up divorced my husband was behind this one hundred percent he would be so happy for me if I could lose the weight, I just remember to tell myself don't drink alcohol or if I do have one drink , I have not drank any alcohol yet and probably won't and I won't be the type that gets skinny and wants to go party out at bars all the time, those are the kind of things that caused the marital problems.  My operation was flawless.  

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

FuturePinUp
on 3/22/16 6:57 am

I can only echo what everyone else has already said. Cancel and nothing will change. I do truly feel that in terms of couples who have issues when one has the surgery...there were already issues there beforehand, and an increased confidence and feeling of self-worth is the catalyst in any problems. Many people's relationships are enhanced by WLS. My hubby has also lost weight as a by-product, plus we have a more active life, we walk and walk then grab brunch or dinner  - we love to eat out. Plus, being more confident, flexible, and having more stability is only a plus in the bedroom!

There are a lot of naysayers out there and they have their own reasons for being that way but screw 'em! I enjoy life and food so much more now - whether it be in a restaurant, getting some takeout and watching a movie at home, going to a food truck carnival...there is nothing I haven't been able to enjoy post-VSG, and enjoy even moreso now that I'm eating more mindfully.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Eggface
on 3/22/16 7:09 am - Sunny Southern, CA
happyteacher
on 3/22/16 7:20 am

Funny. They aren't saying you will likely die a premature death or perhaps have a compromised quality of life if you DON"T do surgery? What is happening is that the people that are around you are simply not up to speed on the ins and outs of weight loss surgery. You will surely eat out again, that one is just stupid. Your life will be ruined? Really?  The quality of life improvment of folks who have wls skyrockets! We are active, healthier, and no longer sitting on the sidelines. Our confidence is greater, we lose our comorbidities... the list goes on and on of the benefits. Divorce? People who don't have wls get divorced all the time. Personally, my marriage became even stronger. Absolutely don't cancel. The people who are filling you with doubt right now will come around when they see the dramatic improvement in you both physically and emotionally. Don't. Back. Out.!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

gibbygal
on 3/22/16 7:51 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I just had surgery on February 16th.  I feel amazing.  I have lost more than twenty one pounds in less than five weeks.  I am wearing two sizes smaller.  People said the same things to me.  "You will die in surgery." "You will become an alcoholic."  "You will gain it all back." Pardon my french but screw them!  Do they have their thighs rub together when they walk? DO they worry about a chair breaking under them? DO they listen to the really skinny girls telling them how fat they are?  DO they take multiple medications everyday because of their weight?  Nope.  They don't.  If they do, I would say they might be resenting that you are brave enough to make a change for the better.  I had to listen to my sister tell me all the things wrong with the surgery.  She sounds like a industrial fan when she breathes.  She can't fit into any clothes.  She is miserable, mentally and physically.  You are doing the right thing!  You will feel so good.  By the way, my husband and I have been married 22 years, and it just gets better and better.  We are all here for you, and you won't hear us knock you down.  You are doing the right thing for yourself and your family.  They get to keep you longer if you are healthy.  One last thing, I went out to a restaurant the other day on a date night.  No one notices I had bariatric surgery.  I looked like everyone else in the place.  You just won't be over cramming your body full of calories that you don't need.  You will love this surgery.  I do! It's a life changer....for the better! 

Aurorasw
on 3/22/16 11:08 am
VSG on 04/26/16

Hello,

I am having my surgery on 4-26. I am extremely nervous as well. I often wonder if I am doing the correct thing. I just met the guidelines to have the surgery. I am overweight but I don't have 100 pounds to lose or anything. I am fortunate in that respect but I have struggled with my weight since college and I am now 47. I have never been so heavy in my life and it prevents me from doing many things in my life. I have 3 young children and a wonderful husband. I have not told most of my friends. The ones I have told like you are trying to talk me out of it. My husband is really worried about me going under aenestesia. I am beyond excited to have the surgery but also am second guessing myself. My response is not helpful in answering your question but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in the way your are thinking. Best of luck with everything!!

jmuehler1984
on 3/22/16 3:11 pm
VSG on 03/04/16

You clearly have unsupportive friends. Don't cancel or give up. My husband had gastric three years ago and we are still married. I am having vsg on Thursday 27th no regrets. Surround yourself with positive people because you deserve to feel good about yourself. Congratulations on your surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics