Cancer Diagnosis after VSG - weight regain

mrs_smith615
on 3/20/16 5:06 pm, edited 3/20/16 5:44 pm - Raleigh, NC
I had my vertical sleeve surgery in 10/2011, and lost 70 pounds. I was walking every day, I was watching what I was eating. I had even gotten to the point where I was doing the couch to 5K running program. Then in December 2012 I was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer that doesn't have a very good prognosis. I have been fighting cancer since then. I have had numerous surgeries, and radiation. Just when I was started to get my strength back and able to start being active again, the cancer came back again in 2014.
I have regained back 45 of the 70 pounds I lost. Is there anyone else on here that has had to deal with cancer after surgery and can just help me to get back on program and lose weight again?

happyteacher
on 3/20/16 6:07 pm

I have been dealing with cancer crap since 2011. I did manage to continue my weight loss phase reasonably uniturrupeded, but did regain a bit when I got to the doube mastectomy. I don't know much about your particular situation, nor the ins and outs of all of the different types of cancers and treatment. What did work for me though is to eat very clean. I imagine you are aware that sugar and crap just feeds cancer cells, protein does not. Perhaps check out the ketogenic diet for a few ideas. In a nutshell, I would just montior my calories, eat protein first, no processed crap, and avoided foods that spikes my blood sugar levels. I juice fruits and veggies- very light on the fruit and heavy on the veggies and found that this really helped my labs. I used to use a Breville juicer, and I loved it- but too lazy to make it all the time. I now toss fruit and veggies in my Vitamix and go that route because it is easier. When I had periods where I was tacking in the awful medicanl invertention crap or recovering from surgery (7 in less that 2 years, lost count on how many over the past 4 years) I would be gentle with mysefl and simply make the goal to not gain. Wish I could be more helpful to you, but the gist is to eat clean, protein first, don't spike your blood sugar levels. Montior your labs too. Good luck- my thoughts are with you. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Suzannadanna
on 3/21/16 9:05 am
VSG on 03/08/16

First of all, I hope you are being really good to yourself. Cancer sucks, and you deserve to be spending your energy toward fighting it, not the weight gain. Many cancer treatments incorporate the use of steroids for symptom management or for protection against hypersensitivity reactions. Of course, steroids cause increased appetite and water retention, so it is difficult to get around that. My suggestion is to work closely with the nutritionist that should be available to you at your therapy clinic, as well as the social worker or psychotherapist. Use their suggestions to make sure you get adequate protein to protect your muscle mass, as well as complex carbohydrates to keep your energy up. Stay away from junk sugar and processed foods if you can, as these just feed the beast. More than anything else though, be kind and loving to yourself - it's easy to look in the mirror and see bulges and weight gain. Look closer and find the awesome things about you - maybe your great eyes or sexy ears, or simply the cancer-fighting warrior princess that you are! Good luck, and my thoughts are with you, Mrs. Smith.

Most Active
Recent Topics