Craving 5 Guys again- what the heck?

happyteacher
on 3/20/16 7:50 am

Every so often I get a craving for 5 guys. One of those terribly greasy burgers. Calorically, I can work it in if I chose. But what I just realized, is that I only crave these things when I am either approaching or fresh off of surgery. I am started to wonder if maybe it is iron or something that I am lacking, adn that the burger has a lot of? Can't eat it anyway, the post gallbladder situation is ensuring that I stay on a stunningly low fat diet. Just finished my 4th reconstructive surgery revision (post double mastectomy) and sitting here jonesing for a way to make the burger happen. I think I might have a look at the nutrition on a veggie burger to see if that is low enough in fat that I might actually tolerate it. Has anyone else noticed weird timing of cravings?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Arjeffries
on 3/20/16 8:01 am
VSG on 01/27/16

For me, when I am wanting certain foods, it is usually emotions playing a part. With all that you are going through, it may be a comfort craving. I tried a burger because I was wanting one. The taste wasn't as good as I remembered.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/16 9:04 am, edited 3/21/16 2:59 am

If the iron you crave - how about ground beef or bison? And make into a burger or meatloaf? Or brown the meat, strain the fat, add some tomato sauce and make meat spaghetti sauce.  I make mine in IP and it is so good in 30 min... Better than when cooked on a stove, on a second day. I can use leaner cut of meat and it is very very nice... I add some salsa to mine... 

I often eat burgers. The 5 guys are nice but greasy.. I typically use a few napkins to drain the fat... I tolerate more fat than I used to,  because I slowly increased the fat in my food.  Higher fat works better for me than low fat ... Low carbs is what I am aiming for now. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

acbbrown
on 3/20/16 9:21 am - Granada Hills, CA

Surgery causes a lot of stress mentally and physically - I don't think it's odd that you get cravings. With all my surgeries...my brain plays the "hey I'm healing and can have more calories" card lol. 

I second the idea of making a burger or meatloaf for a good dose of iron. I think I get 92 or 93% lean beef. I even throw spinach in my meat loaf for added iron. (I'm trying to get better at putting spinach in anything possible as I work on my iron levels). 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happyteacher
on 3/20/16 10:55 am

I agree that emotional eating could always be a reason, and I fully acknowledge that I have some history with that. I feel like this is different though- emotional eating triggers ice cream, cookies, that kind of crap. I do not like eating meat, but do in order to get the protein in. That's why I feel like it is a weird craving to get periodically. I don't think my system could even handle a lean ground beef right now, but maybe turkey. I likely will have the hubby make some goulash soup, and I can get some turkey or beef in it that way without over doing it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LosinginAZ
on 3/20/16 12:07 pm

If you are craving a hamburger, I have a solution that works for me.  I take extra lean ground beef, 97% fat free, and mix it with chopped onions (this helps it not be dry). Then for the bun I take two slices of sargento reduced fat colby jack cheese , put one slice in a pan on the stove top, let it brown and carefully flip. I do this with two slices to make buns out of cheese. Let them cool and then put them on your burger, and bam, you feel like you are eating a real burger with a bun! :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

happyteacher
on 3/20/16 3:35 pm

My hubby actually makes an amazing burger on the grill. Even my son and his friends will stick around if it means they get one, and they don't like to stick around normally. Maybe I will ask him to bust out the grill :)

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/16 2:11 pm

I get cravings at the most unexpected times. Sometimes with good reason, sometimes not so much! 

When I have a strong burger craving I go here. Check it out. Maybe you have something like this where you are. The food at Roam beats the heck out of 5 guys, which is a two minute drive from my place. It's worth the extra gas and time to eat something really good. 

While I like the suggestion of making a burger at home for yourself, sometimes there is joy in having a nice juicy and healthy burger served up for you! 

happyteacher
on 3/20/16 3:33 pm

We don't have that chain around here, but my does it look delicious. Now I am pretty sure I need to go to California! 

Grim_Traveller
on 3/21/16 2:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

About once a month I have a Five Guys burger. I usually have half the bun, single burger with cheese. It's a far cry from the double burger with cheese and bacon with large fry I used to have. The fries there were the best.

My last stop there they had signs offering a new milkshake. I couldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole. But yhe sign also said you could add BACON to your milkshake.

I went once with a vegan friend, because their limited menu includes a veggie sandwich. He got pretty pissed off. It's not a veggie burger, though that was our assumption. It just a burger bun with everything on it except the meat. So letter, tomato, onion, mushrooms, etc. Blech.

My first burger at home after surgery I made with 97/3 ground beef. It was inedible. Horrid, horrid taste without the fat. I'll never go lower fat than 85/15 again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics