Just starting this journey. I am a little afraid after reading some of the emotional post

shllyjyc
on 3/19/16 7:47 am

I am new to this site.I just scheduled my psych evaluation and teaching. I am a little scared after reading the emotional and depressed post. Does this happen  to everyone? Do you have any advise for preparing for the surgery?

hollykim
on 3/19/16 11:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM Pacific Time, shllyjyc wrote:

I am new to this site.I just scheduled my psych evaluation and teaching. I am a little scared after reading the emotional and depressed post. Does this happen  to everyone? Do you have any advise for preparing for the surgery?

no,it doesn't happen to everyone. It didn't happen to me. 

That said,hormones are stored in fat and when weight is lost rapidly,the hormones flush into the blood stream to be excreted from the body.

te hormone rush can cause some temporary sadness and even some *****iness until it leaves the body.

some times ppl think losing weight will magically fix everything that is wrong with their life. When it doesn't ,depressing that already have,can get worse.

what to do before surgery? Get with a good. Therapist if you aren't already seeing one and get your problems sorted before surgery.

shllyjyc
on 3/19/16 1:35 pm

Thanks, I've never had any issues like that so hopefully won't happen. I just want to get healthy. Love my job, love my family life just tired of being tired and out of shape....

stacyrg
on 3/19/16 12:17 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

It didn't happen to me, either.  I never really had a case of buyers' remorse, even when I was having low blood pressure issues post op.  This surgery was the best gift I ever gave myself and I'm grateful for it every single day.  To prepare, I'd just be aware of the hormone dump and accept it for what it is.  If you have it and it impacts your mood, just know it will pass and will be a distant memory once you get into the plan and get accustomed to your new life.  Good luck!

shllyjyc
on 3/19/16 1:36 pm

Good to know. I am looking forward to it. Have a great job and husband just want to be healthy and not short of breath lol 

Bufflehead
on 3/19/16 2:02 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

It didn't happen to me at all.

When you are reading about problems and issues here or other online forums, remember that people are a lot more likely to post about problems, needing help, needing advice, than they are to post about not having problems. Someone else I know described it like this:

Imagine you spend a day walking around in a new city, sight-seeing, checking out museums and art galleries and cafes and shops. During the day, your purse gets snatched. You might go on Twitter or Facebook and post "OMG! My purse got snatched! Why is the world so horrible ??!?!?!"

On the other hand, if you have the same kind of day and your purse didn't get snatched, you aren't likely to get on Twitter and Facebook and post "OMG! My purse didn't get snatched! I love the world!"

So, people tend to post more when they are in need of information, support, etc. than when not.

I would say, it's good to read about possible issues that come up so you can be aware of them. But you also need to be aware that complications and problems only arise for a very small number of people, and even for people that do get them, there is treatment and help for them if they do happen to you.

Keep reading so that you aren't surprised by the minor things that happen to most/lots of people: the three week stall, finding out that you don't have much restriction with liquids (don't be one of those OMG I CAN DRINK 8 OUNCES WITH NO PROBLEM DID MY SURGEON ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING?) people, post-op trapped gas and how to get rid of it, just the little things that will be easier if you know to expect them.

Good luck! This was the best decision I ever made. I had no complications, no regrets, and no trouble recovering from surgery. I think I'm more normal than not

poplargreys
on 3/19/16 3:36 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am not depressed, not regularly, but I do feel more emotional since surgery, and it's not all bad. Yes, there are rough days, but there were before, too. Life has ups and downs, but I have never regretted my choice to have WLS.

Most Active
Recent Topics