Hello from a Newbie :) VSG is my plan...

Terry G.
on 3/18/16 6:18 am

I just want to send a quick "hello" to the other guys on here.  I'm new to the WLS idea, but after doing a good bit of research and discussion with friend's who've had it, and at least one doctor, I've decided to move forward with the Vertical Sleeve procedure.

I'm 37 years old and have been overweight most of my life.  Like many of you, I've tried every diet out there, and then some.  My weight has slowly crept up and now I'm at my heaviest - around 375 pounds.  I'm 6'2" with a broad build, so when I tell someone (very few actually) how much I weight, they never can believe it - but it's true.  My scale, mirror, and size 52 pants (thank you expandable waists) don't lie.

I've finally reached a point where I'm tired of being tired.  I'm tired of shopping online for clothes.  I'm tired of worrying if I'll fit in a chair - or God forbid, if it will hold me.  I'm tired of traveling and carrying a seatbelt extender on a plane (I bought one) and praying that I get a skinny person next to me (or no one at all, please).  I'm tired of getting winded climbing stairs, not participating in outdoor activities, and being lethargic.

I met with one local surgeon, the go-to-guy around here, a few weeks ago.  He's supposedly the best, but he wasn't very personable or likable.  He started talking politics and asked me who I was voting for.  I casually avoided the question because before I could answer, he was talking all pro-Trump and how everyone else will destroy the country.  Don't get me wrong, you can vote for whomever you want, but don't talk to me about it in an exam room when we're discussing my life-changing procedure.

A week later I ran into a friend at work who was noticeably thinner and I asked "What did you do??".  He grinned slyly and said, "I had a little procedure."  Then he told me that he had VSG in January 2016 and has no regrets whatsoever.  He told me who his doctor is and it's the same doctor two other friends have told me about.  This new doctor has a considerably better bedside manner and my friends rave about him.  So, I have an appointment scheduled with that doctor on March 30.

Admittedly, I'm anxious and scared.  I've never had any kind of surgery before.  My dad died a year and half ago while having a routine procedure done (heart cath) and I get sweaty palms just walking into a hospital now.  I know it's a rarity for bad things to happen, but I do think about it.  The other funny thing I worry about (and those of you who've had it done, tell me) is the thought of a catheter in me.  It may sound crazy, but that scares me more than anything else.  Go figure.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling now.  I look forward to getting to know some of you, reading and replying, and getting your input, feedback, and advice.  At this point, I'm 2-3 months into my 6 month required observation period before insurance will approve the procedure, so I hope to have the VSG in July-ish.

Thanks, all.

sheriberi29
on 3/18/16 6:30 am - Cleveland, TN

I saw your post and just wanted to say that you may get more help from people that have had the sleeve if you post on the sleeve forum . I'm a problem lapband patient after 6.5 years and awaiting insurance approval for revision to sleeve and the boards are full of people with lots of great advice and support if you go to the specific board. 

By the way, that Dr was way out of line and I wish you better luck with the second doc. 

Also, I will say that working as a surgical tech , there are a lot ( I'm underestimating ) more complications that happen in the cath lab than in the operating room in bariatric surgery. I'm so very sorry about your dad. Also, the catheter will be placed after you are sedated if not already asleep and it feels like a slight irritant, no pain. Just the kind of thing that you know isn't supposed to be there. Please keep us updated and come back often for support throughout your process and after

sheriberi29
on 3/18/16 6:32 am - Cleveland, TN

Well whoops!!!! I thought I was reading the general board when I posted about the sleeve board. My bad !!! ??

Spencerella
on 3/18/16 6:41 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm glad you found us Terry.  Welcome. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Your fears are understandable but I can tell they won't hold you back and nor should they.  In addition to all the changes you're looking foward to, there will be many other wonderful things to come your way that you can't even imagine right now!  

Regarding the catheter, it's usually inserted and removed while you're asleep :-). There's a Men's Forum here as well, so you might want to check that out. All the best to you!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/16 4:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are other men here?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Spencerella
on 3/18/16 5:03 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

They sneak through the portal every now and then

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 3/18/16 5:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

That explains how I got in. My gonads are still nailed over my ex's mantle.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sandra F.
on 3/18/16 6:54 am

I feel like you crawled into my pre-surgery mind and read my thoughts.  I had the same wearyness of being overweight.  I also was extremely scared of surgery and had never had it either.  In addition, I had the added fear of having my surgery in a different country (had my in Mexico b/c I was self-pay).  The pre-op diet and first month after surgery were no picnic, but once I got through those, it was smooth sailing.  And I have absolutely no regrets about having surgery other than I wish I had done it much sooner.  My husband has told me multiple times that he can't keep up with me, which makes me feel good b/c before surgery I couldn't keep up with him.  I didn't have to have a catheter, so maybe you will get lucky and not have to have one. Discuss it with your doctor.  Good luck to you!

Laura in Texas
on 3/18/16 6:58 am

Honestly, the best surgeons are usually ******** I would go with the one who is a better cutter. Ask each about their results and who has better long-term stats. VSG technique can vary so much from surgeon to surgeon. Bedside manner to me is overrated. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Neesie57
on 3/18/16 6:26 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

So true Laura.  Bedside manner doesn't mean much, if the doctor isn't a good cutter.  When my daughter was going through medical school, she was told that doctor's with good bedside manner are sued much less than ******** even if the asshole is a better surgeon.

I saw my doctor for a total of about 30 minutes from start of visits to surgery.  It didn't make much difference to me if he didn't have much personality, (he doesn't) because I knew he was a good bariatric surgeon.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics