Will I be ok for cheating only a few times during first week of pre op...

dobermanleloo
on 3/18/16 6:27 am
VBG on 02/10/16

Hang in there just let your doctor know be honest and maybe he will push the surgery out 1 more week so you can complete the pre-op diet. It truly was super hard I think it was hard than post-op. But when your hungry drink another protein shake, or eat a SF jello. You CAN do it! I promise and you will loose a good amount of weight pre-op too!  I did it for 3 weeks.  I was also scared not to follow it... I wanted to be in the best shape for the surgery that I could. You can do it... and some of those protein shake are delicious!

hollykim
on 3/18/16 7:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 18, 2016 at 1:54 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

Here's what I had the first week other than lean meals and liquids:

2 pbnj sandwiches on white bread.

cream of wheat with a little big of sugar

a handful of Goldfish crackers

a few slices of cheese (on saltine crackers)

about 5 marshmallow peeps

a few bites of coleslaw and potato salad and a "handfull" of bbq pulled pork and half a roll from Dickey's

Would yall say that is too much for a pre op diet or will I get away with that as long as I am pure water and zero carb protein shake all this week?

why even bothker with the pre op diet?

sheriberi29
on 3/18/16 7:54 am - Cleveland, TN

First of all let me say, I know you probably feel like you came here for help and received a harsh chewing out... Please realize all of these vets are trying to be honest and not sugar coat this, this doesn't appear to be a little slip up ... This is a lot of no no nos .... I would urge you to really really give it your all and commit . I understand that you may feel like it's a lot harder bc you don't have your " tool" yet. But PLEASE be advised that your new " tool " is like going to lowes and purchasing a $20,000 shovel and going home.... Sitting it in the yard beside a tree that needs to be planted... Going back in the house and waiting for that shovel to dig a hole and plant the tree. You can look out the window all day long and guess what... If you don't do the work, the tree never gets planted, never gets rooted and doesn't make it to its potential .

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/18/16 3:21 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On March 18, 2016 at 1:54 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

Here's what I had the first week other than lean meals and liquids:

2 pbnj sandwiches on white bread.

cream of wheat with a little big of sugar

a handful of Goldfish crackers

a few slices of cheese (on saltine crackers)

about 5 marshmallow peeps

a few bites of coleslaw and potato salad and a "handfull" of bbq pulled pork and half a roll from Dickey's

Would yall say that is too much for a pre op diet or will I get away with that as long as I am pure water and zero carb protein shake all this week?

I'm looking into my Magic 8 Ball, and it says "the outlook not so good."

Ask yourself why you're having surgery.  Is it because you want to change your life?  Are you willing to make the necessary changes to what you put into your mouth?   If you're eating this crap during your pre op diet, I feel sorry for you 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

brownblonde
on 3/21/16 8:33 am

If your surgeon requires you lose a certain amount or percentage of weight before WLS, as some do, he may actually cancel surgery if you do not.  

Additionally, after surgery you will not have room for simple carbs like this.  If you do, your body will suffer.  Thankfully, you will literally fill up fast after surgery and if you get into the habit of eating the necessary protein first, you will find you cannot eat sugar and carbs like you used to.  You will likely lose weight.  But take if from someone almost 6 years out--there will come a time when you can eat these foods again.  It will be much easier for you to begin successful habits now, and when your sleeve is new and strong, than later on when saying no to carbs is a lot harder.

That being said, my surgeon did not require a pre-op diet.  He actually said "if you could eat that way now, why even get surgery."  So I see where you're coming from.  I had WLS because I could not go at it alone and I was strong enough to admit I needed that help.  Unfortunately, eventually the sleeve alone will not be enough.  I would encourage you to at a minimum start practicing a "focus on protein."  It's what you'll need to keep lean muscle mass after WLS anyway.

danabee13
on 3/25/16 7:36 am
VSG on 04/05/16

I'm in my preop plan and I cheated the 1st 2 days. I was so hungry. Well, I wasn't doing the plan correctly. It allowed for 5 shakes not 3. I totally read it wrong.  Anyway, I had a friend scare me straight.  It put everything in perspective for me. It's for my family.  I'm not going to give you a tongue lashing, but I've also told myself that I will go to support groups and counseling to deal with the hunger in my head. If you can't get the mind right, then this is all pointless. Good luck!!! Seek help.

Most Active
Recent Topics