Week one down

LosingLola
on 3/15/16 9:38 pm

I am officially one week post-op today! While I am thrilled to be on this side of surgery, I know I still have so much to learn and accomplish. I am fighting a bit of head hunger and am still really swollen.  I guess the swelling could be gas because I've not been walking as much as I should (and haven't had a BM). The head hunger abated a bit today since I was able to start on puréed foods.  I have been experiencing a lot of tension (not painful) in my belly in the evenings and the pain meds help that to relax. I hate that I am still taking them but c'est la vie.  The best part is that I lost the 8 lbs of water gain from the hospital within a couple of days and then another 11.8 lbs this week. I am sure that will slow down now that I am off full liquids, though. Anyway, I appreciate any tips you all can share!

VSG 3/8/16, HW 258.8, SW 236.5, CW 225.6

cappy11448
on 3/15/16 11:58 pm

I'm so glad you are doing so well.  Welcome to the loser's bench! 

Just one thought.  A week without a BM seems long to me.  I found that after surgery, I had terrible constipation, so I started taking miralax regularly, and I still do so even now.  You might want to ask your surgeon or NP or Nutritionist about how long its been without a BM and whether you might need a laxative.   Its worth asking, just to be on the safe side. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 3/16/16 1:16 am - Warren, OH

The pain meds will also keep you from having a BM.  I had to take them this summer and was over two weeks without a BM in spite of taking laxatives.

Pain medicine is very risky to take as a means of relaxing.  It is very addictive.  I hope you find another way to deal with the tension and get off the pain pills.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

wtmmoorem
on 3/16/16 3:25 am
VSG on 03/08/16

Congrats!

Reading your post was almost like reading my life.  lol.  I am one week down as well.  I didn't have a BM until yesterday, and apparently had torn something on the inside because it was so hard and I pushed so hard.  I know that is way too much info.  Try a stool softener and and Miralax, as suggested.  I talked to my surgeon yesterday and that is what I was told to do because a week is way too long.  I too suffer with pain in the evening and swelling in my stomach.  I haven't been taking any pain meds the last couple of days though.  And I also probably need to get out and walk more.  I am down 14.8 pounds and expect that to slow down as well.

One more thing, make sure you are getting in a lot of fluids!  It's hard to do on the pureed food stage.  

Best of luck to you!

Kathy2852
on 3/16/16 9:11 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Please speak with your doctor about that BM. After back surgery I didn't go for over a week and became impacted. Even a laxative didn't help at that point. The stool had to be manually removed. Please call your doctor now!

Tracy D.
on 3/16/16 10:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the loser's bench, Lola! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics