Vacation in Mexico

Anne N.
on 3/15/16 7:39 am - Middle Island, NY

My husband & I went to Mexico last week on vacation and I just wanted to share with everyone that it IS possible to have a fun vacation and not worry about food, even though we are on specific eating programs. I am 4.5 months post-op and pretty much adhered to my proper diet with a few exceptions. I took my vitamins, ate a lot of lean/grilled protein and tried to get my water in. If we were off-site on an excursion, I made sure to have a protein bar and extra water on hand. Breakfast was usually an omelet with veggies or a yogurt & fruit and lunch/dinner was grilled or poached fish, shrimp, chicken or lean beef and veggies. We stayed at our favorite inclusive resort and I pretty much ate dessert every night, only had pasta once (two spinach raviolis) and only ate rice once (a couple bites of sofrito & rice). I did have crusty bread at dinner most nights (usually with olive oil & balsamic) and I did drank alcohol most nights at dinner and at the swim-up bars at the pools. Before everyone gasps, I only gained two pounds. We walked a lot and went on several off-site excursions, along with swimming almost every day. I got back home Saturday night and went back on program Sunday. I weighed myself this morning and not only did I lose the two pounds I gained on vacation, but I also lost an additional pound. We took this same trip at the same resort two years ago and we both ate and drank like no tomorrow and I gained 14 pounds. I did have to say "no" to a lot of things that looked delicious and I couldn't finish a lot of the yummy food on my plate, but it is possible to go on vacation and enjoy your meals with minimal weight gain.

Luvmygs
on 3/15/16 11:40 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Sounds like you had a great time! Where in Mexico and whats the name of the resort. I'd love to take a trip there. My parents are from Mexico, but I've never been there. Thank you for sharing. Christine

Anne N.
on 3/15/16 12:03 pm, edited 3/15/16 5:04 am - Middle Island, NY

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale in Puerto Morelos.  It's approximately 45 minutes south of the Cancun airport and about 30 minutes north of Playa del Carmen. It is an adult only/all inclusive resort.  http://www.karismahotels.com/Hotels-Resorts-Villas/Adults-only/El-Dorado-Resorts/El-Dorado-Royale They also have another resort next door that is for families with kids (Generations Riviera Maya).

This is our second stay there and everyone is so nice.  We will definitely be going back in a few years.  Hope you get a chance to go down there for a vacation, it is so beautiful!

Luvmygs
on 3/21/16 12:56 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

WOW, that resort looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I would love to visit Mexico some day.

LucyR
on 3/16/16 8:16 am
VSG on 03/03/16

So nice to read your post.  We have a family cruise planned four months post my VSG.  Have been worried how I will do, but now know it is doable! 

Most Active
Recent Topics