IVC Filter

Darcy G.
on 3/14/16 1:42 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Hi y'all,

I got a call Friday from my center saying that as I'm to have a vena cava filter placed before my surgery, I need to have vascular clearance first. Unfortunately, the soonest they could get me to a vascular surgeon for consultation was the day before my filter is scheduled to be placed, and two days before my surgery.

It's a bit tight of a window for me, but mostly I'm worried about it because that's kind of an 11th hour situation where I could conceivably be re-denied for my surgery if I don't pass the vascular clearance test.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what vascular clearance even is.  Can anyone enlighten me what that actually entails? Is it about vein diameter? Do they do some kind of tests to determine viability of the procedure?

happyteacher
on 3/14/16 2:02 pm

I have no idea, but my thoughts are with you. I hope it all works out.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Hislady
on 3/14/16 2:44 pm - Vancouver, WA

Did you make the appt or did your docs office? If it was you , you might call your doc's office and see if that is soon enough or if they will try to get you a sooner date so it isn't such a tight time line. Sometimes they can get things done that we can't. Also be sure to ask if you should get the filter removed or not after the surgery. My surgeon removed mine a month after surgery so it wouldn't clog up with clots and cause a stroke later on. I know on TV they are warning about them breaking if left in for years at a time like they used to. As far as insertion and removal it is easy peasy!

Darcy G.
on 3/14/16 2:50 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

They made the appointment for me, but it's for their hospital system which I only am going to for their bariatric program. So I've called vascular surgeons closer to me and am seeing my PCP Wednesday for a referral. They've said it will be no problem to get me in earlier than April 5, so there's that at least.

It is supposed to be a temporary filter only for me, though I'm not terribly pleased to be having one at all. I understand that two physicians have thought it necessary, so I'm going to do it, I just hate to have a small procedure in order to have a big procedure, then to follow up with another small procedure. That's a lot procedures!

Can I ask if you had to have clearance before yours was placed? How long before your lap band they placed it, and when they took it back out? Are you on blood thinners regularly too? That's why they're doing mine, so I can go off coumadin before the surgery and be protected until it's safe to begin coumadin again.

Hislady
on 3/14/16 3:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

Yep it's kind of a pain to have to have all the procedures but it sure beats a heart attack or pulmonary embolism, that's what I kept telling myself.

I've been on coumadin for over 30 yrs found out I had an odd ball genetic disorder. Always have to wean off and on before any surgery but the band was the only one where I had to have the filter. So hopefully it'll be the only time you need one too. Best of luck to you!

Darcy G.
on 3/14/16 3:15 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I've been on it since 2008 when I had three pulmonary embolisms at once. And I've been told I'll probably be on it forever too. It's a pain! But having a filter is better than another PE event, for sure. You know, so long as nothing goes wrong and it accidentally tears a big gaping hole in my vein...

Thank you! I do feel better just talking about it a little. And you know, speaking with someone who went through it and came out intact :D

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/14/16 2:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Can you call the office (either the bariatric surgeon or the cardiologist) and ask? You could probably get a good answer from talking to a nurse or PA, especially one who may be familiar with your file.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darcy G.
on 3/14/16 2:52 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

That's a good idea. Thank you.

I think tomorrow I'll call the nurse practitioner I see to monitor my coumadin levels, he's always very easy to get on the phone and this is in the anti-clot health domain, so seems like a legit reason to call him!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/14/16 3:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

That's a great idea! This sounds like something the NP could help with. I bet he's made referrals for the same sort of thing and would be able to explain it. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Darcy G.
on 3/14/16 3:17 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

He's pretty great in general. And I had spoken to him about my upcoming surgery and what I'll need to do when it's time to go off the coumadin, so he's expecting me to call before coming in. I just didn't even think to ask him about the pre-filter clearance(I didn't know that such a critter existed...).

Thank you. Y'all always have the info or the right words. You rock!

Most Active
Recent Topics