Dropping lbs Before Being Cleared for VSG

cnanny
on 3/12/16 12:36 pm

Thank you so much!! I am working on upping my exercise at this point. I walked a mile with my dog this morning and I am hoping to get us both up to walking 2 miles at a time soon! I cut out sodas back in January and started focusing on making better choices as well.  According my scale at home I have lost 5lbs since then.  I am also scared I won't lose the weight, but I have a great support system so I am trying to be positive and hopeful.  Good luck on your journey!!!

WereYorkie
on 3/12/16 5:54 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I too have PCOS and I was required to lose 19 pounds (I was at 327.8 at my Initial Consult, Feb 24, 2015). I lost 32 pounds using Atkin's Induction and had my surgery May 11, 2015. 

All I can say is... LOW CARB!! Cut the sugar. Cut the processed foods! Healthy fats. Lean meats. Veggies... Dairy is full fat (not that non-fat chemical ****storm cr@p that they try pass as "healthy". 

Besides... that's what your NUT will tell you (if she/he is good).  

This way you are already getting use to eating low carb by the time you have your surgery and you won't miss any off the bad stuff.  

If you have any questions just message me and I'll be happy to help.  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

cnanny
on 3/15/16 9:41 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I have been counting calories and working on cutting out carbs.  I'm trying not to make any drastic changes because I want this lifestyle change to stick with me.  I am also watching my dairy intake as well which sucks because I LOVE CHEESE! LOL I had a bit of a breakdown Friday evening.  I let myself get overwhelmed with the thought of "what the heck am I supposed to eat".  I got through it though and actually cooked myself a meal, which until recently was something I did RARELY.  One of the toughest things for me so far is putting in the extra effort to prepare healthy, fresh meals.  I'm definitely learning this cooking thing as I go but I'm beginning to enjoy it more day by day.  I will definitely be taking you up on your offer to answer questions as I get closer to my pre-op diet and surgery day. Thank you again!!! 

LosinginAZ
on 3/16/16 11:21 am

I started with a BMI of 67 and my doctor wanted me down to a 50 for surgery. I lost a lot pre-op sticking to a protein and veggies only diet. It was hard at first, but I think it has helped me post-op too. I started my diet in July and had surgery the following January. Originally I wanted to get surgery ASAP but I am now happy that I was able to lose so much pre-op. Trust me, you can do it. I didnt think I would be able to either. When he told me how much he wanted me to lose before surgery, I almost gave up. Hang in there, its definitely doable! :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

cnanny
on 3/16/16 11:47 am

Thank you for the encouragement! I've lost about 3lbs since my Dr.'s visit on Friday so I am becoming more and more optimistic and finding it easier to push myself in the gym as well. I do think its a good thing to build the habit of eating this way before the surgery.  The LAST thing I want to do is lose the weight only to gain it back again.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/17/16 4:04 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I lost 22 pounds in the 3 months since I first met with my surgeon and nutritionist.  I followed the guidelines they gave me - knowing there was a monthly follow-up and it was leading to surgery was enough to keep me on track.  I did have some days during the holidays when I ate/drank more than other days, but I just "allowed" them (didn't give myself a hard time and didn't continue eating).  I do find that I am now used to smaller meals.  The most important rules for me are: protein (keeps the hunger away longer), eating at every meal, controlled snack in the afternoon and evening.  

I think the surgeons want us to lose pre-op both to reduce the liver but also to already be on a good eating pattern pre-surgery.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

cnanny
on 3/17/16 7:30 am

Thank you for responding!  I still have yet to meet with my nutritionist however, since making small changes beginning in January and becoming more active I have lost 10lbs! I am very excited about that! Starting today I am drinking 2 protein shakes a day, one for breakfast and one for a snack.  Seeing results has definitely given me more motivation to keep going.  I can't wait to see where I will be in 3 months.  

Most Active
Recent Topics