Dropping lbs Before Being Cleared for VSG

cnanny
on 3/11/16 5:53 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to continue using the myfitnesspal app.  It's encouraging to know that even with PCOS the weight will come off by changing my eating habits. :)

NYMom222
on 3/11/16 5:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was told to lose 15-20lbs. The diet I was given was fairly easy (This was pre-liquid diet phase) It was no more than 100g carbs, eat 100g protein, in those numbers include one protein drink (stats:no more than 200 calories, 5g sugar with 20-30g protein). Some fat allowed on salads or veggies. veggies do not have to be counted in carbs count.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cnanny
on 3/11/16 5:55 pm

Thank you for the info. I am really going to work hard on cutting back my carb intake and continue counting calories and focusing on protein. I should have more details once I speak with the dietician.

Readerwoman8
on 3/11/16 5:44 pm

Hi Chelsy,

I am working through my 6 month requirement with my insurance company, and being over halfway through it, am really happy to have this time to not only lose some weight but change my diet and exercise. And luckily my insurance company has covered visits to the physical therapist, mental health therapist and nutritionist. I have lost 9 pounds so far and need to lose 18.5 to qualify for surgery.

The changes have been pretty exciting with all the help that I've been getting. From having a hard time getting up out of a chair, I am now working out at they gym for 45 minutes 5-6 times a week. And I've completely changed my diet, with lots of protein and minimal carbohydrates (veggies and fruit). My nutritionist suggested the South Beach Diet, and while I am struggling with no fruit, it is working pretty well.

The other thing that these six months are giving me is the opportunity to work through my binge eating disorder. Between the nutritionist and therapist, I am learning some new mindful techniques (meditation, etc.) which is helping. No, things aren't perfect, but I'm working towards it!

Next week I have my first appointment at UW Bariatrics where I will discuss which surgery is best for me and what requirements they have for me. My hope is that I will have surgery in early summer (June/July), but I will find out more next Wednesday.

Good luck with your journey!

-Judy

cnanny
on 3/11/16 6:05 pm

Thank you for your input.  My biggest struggle right now is trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. I hope I have a better idea once I meet with the dietician.  I have a little over 3 months to lose about 20lbs and I'm worried I won't be able to accomplish that.  I hope that tracking my calories and focusing on protein will show me results. Good luck with your journey as well!! Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/16 12:19 am

I had to lose 20 pounds before my surgeon would schedule my surgery. I didn't have to do it any particular way, so I chose going on a hardcore 1000 calorie per day diet. I didn't understand too much at that time about the benefits of low carb, but I started using protein shakes to try and get used to them and up my protein - the surgeon said it would help my healing post op. I lost the weight pretty quickly on 1000 calories. Met the surgeon for the first time on September 9th and lost my 20 by November 1st and had surgery on December 7th. 

Get the weight off any way you can at this point. It doesn't matter how you do it. Once you have surgery it will be much easier to focus on learning HOW to eat PROPERLY as a WLS patient. 

cnanny
on 3/12/16 12:27 pm

Thank you for the advise! I don't think I could mentally handle a 1000 calorie a day diet but I am definitely cutting the calories.  I think Im also going to incorporate more protein shakes to help me keep that full feeling.  I read the article about you, I know you have had success with WLS.  I look forward to the journey ahead!

happyteacher
on 3/12/16 6:30 am

I was given a 5% target as well, and a required 2 week preop diet. I started at 3 months out though, as I was a total train wreck and knew I would need more time to try to improve my habits prior to surgery. I was insulin resistant, so that first month despite staying 100% on plan I didn't lose- but counted it as a victory because I didn't gain either. Try sticking to lean protein, green leafy veggies, avoid sweet anything unless it is a fruit low on the glycemic index. I managed carbs a little differently- kept it to 30 for a meal or 15 or so for a snack, with the goal being to keep the blood sugar levels stable. Many here take a very low carb approach, and that seems to work well for many. Drop all highly processed food, and white carbs that metabolize fast (rice, pasta, potatoe, etc.). If you are not familiar with the glycemic index start researching it- you want to absolutely avoid insulin spikes as it will full on sabatoge your calorie management plan. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cnanny
on 3/12/16 12:31 pm

Thank you for your input! As a result of PCOS I am also insulin resistant.  I will watch my carb intake. Im not really a fruit eater, I prefer veggies (sometimes I think thats strange LOL). My downfall is sweets, so I have to focus extra hard on saying NO and avoiding them when possible.

LifeEntity
on 3/12/16 9:55 am

When it came  to the six months supervised diet I was pretty scared because I was afraid i wasn't going to lose weight. I just started this process this month. I had my first dietitian visit March 3rd. She put me on a 1500 calorie diet. Low carb high protein. I had my appointment with my surgeon back in Feb. He wants me to lose 34 pounds by the end of my 6 months are up. 

I started at 347.2 (My highest weight ever) I am now 338.4! I count ever calorie I put in my mouth. I also walk 3 miles a day. I work a pretty fast paced job so that helps with exercise. My days off I walk outside or/and or play Wii fit. 

I cut out all soda (which was bad that was my weakness.) each meal in eat 300 calories. Snacks normal under 100. The first few days I felt I was starving to death I had major stomach pains. Now I'm used to eating small portions and healthier foods. I feel much better and energetic! 

So ny advise is just stick to what you are told and you will see results -- fast!! Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics