No goal weight?!?!

Laura in Texas
on 3/8/16 3:13 pm

My surgeon does not give goal weights, either. He does want his patients to have a BMI under 30, but after that it's up to us to decide. I picked the weight I felt good at when I was in my 20's. It's worked for me so far.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

alouisa63
on 3/8/16 4:01 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Thanks everyone!  I now feel less stressed about NOT getting a final goal weight.  I'll be seeing my PCP in the next few months and see what he says but ultimately, after being SMO all of my life, I'll pick a point where I feel comfortable :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 4:20 pm

My doctor didn't give me a goal weight either. Very thoughtful discussion with my bariatric MD helped me understand why. My bariatric group is mostly concerned with long term health results - metabolic disease, cholesterol, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc... resolutions, and that sort of thing. Weight reduction is a means to that end. So my doctor group is primarily concerned with the numbers coming from the lab, not so much the scale. Now, sadly, I didn't get this tal****il after I had reached my own chosen goal weight and had started with regain. 

In your case, like mine, goal weight is going to be a highly personal matter. I am rather anti BMI because it doesn't work for me. I am a true outlier - every physician and nutritionist on my support team have said this. I had some head trips about never getting to a "normal" BMI. Now that I've worked through all that garbage thinking, I live with a weight that makes sense to me. I'm comfortable at that weight both physically and emotionally. I am happy with my appearance and I am celebrate that every single one of my obesity related co-morbidities is resolved.

The wonderful thing about having a VSG is that with your sleeve you are in the driver's seat when it comes to your weight. You have a choice now. Your weight will never be the struggle it once was as long as you use your sleeve appropriately. All that to say, go for your

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 4:23 pm

go for your

Neesie57
on 3/8/16 6:38 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I had the same problem with my bariatric surgeon.  My daughter and I were in the waiting room for an hour, with me getting madder and madder as they called in people who had come in after us.  Then I sat in the exam room for almost a half hour, until my daughter and I got fed up and left.  The nurse came running after me saying, "you're next!"  Too bad, "next" could have been another hour.  

By the time I got home that day I got a text from my surgeon, apologizing profusely, and telling me it wouldn't happen again.  He has kept his word.

BTW, he did give me a 150 goal weight, but my personal goal is 135.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

alouisa63
on 3/8/16 7:33 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

The staff couldn't do enough to get me in there today and everyone was apologizing.  I totally understand if he got called to the hospital for an emergency but this wasn't the case.  And this was the first time I've ever walked out on an appointment.  When I called to re-book, I was told the office manager would call me to "discuss" what happened.  Still waiting for that call...... 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

happytoloose
on 3/8/16 9:04 pm

My doc set a clinical goal at the beginning, ive long since surpassed that. Ive reset my personal goal 4 times now with the latest being under 220.

Achievable ? Yea, probably. I havent started maintenance yet, not consciously at least. my activity levels continue to increase so still shed about 2 or 3 pounds a week. If I dont loose another pound, I will still be thrilled and amazed.

I got this!

16 months, 254 lbs, over half of my high bodyweight, gone forever.

I love my sleeve

Rod

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/16 3:56 am, edited 3/8/16 7:59 pm

For some people BMI works - for others - not so much. 

I am 5'4 and at 145, my normal 24.5 BMI I did not look and feel well. My body fat % was too low for my age and my body structure. Even adding 10 lbs to that made a difference how I felt and looked. 

But -when I was concerned when I was losing, what it felt like too much, my smart doc told me to go as low as my body would allow to have some wiggle room when I get to year 3... That was a very smart move. 

As a goal I picked a size - not a weight - that I wanted to be at or below. For me it was 12- 10.. At my lowest - I got down to size 4..  8 years later - I sit at comfortable size 8-10.. With some 6's that fit me... 

190 may be ok for you... But if I were you - I would aim for less than that initially....then work to maintain at a level that you and your body is comfortable. 

BTW - I could go back to size 4...but to maintain that size and weight - I would have to put a lot of efforts in eating and exercises...at my age - I rather not... Maintaining my current 6-10 is easier... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rhudson
on 3/9/16 4:47 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

You'll really need to see how you feel, that goal weight you're trying to determine might change as you lose more weight.  It might end up being a littler low or a little higher.  As time goes by, the scale won't be as important.  I was wanting to get into a specific size and I did, that was cool with me.  I'm still losing weight though, even though I'm at my maintenance weight but trying to up my calories, but it's hard - my restriction is still tight.  I know, what an awful problem to have, right?

Surgery Date: 12/9/14 - Highest Weight: 349 - Surgery Weight: 305 - Current Weight: 137
Goal reached in 13 months - 212 total pounds lost including pre-op
(M1: -20) (M2: -18) (M3: -11) (M4: -11) (M5: -14) (M6: -1) (M7: -18) (M8: -7) (M9: -15)

(M10: -13) (M11: -7) (M12: -10) (M13: -10) (M14 -6) (M15: -7) - 168 lbs lost post-op

FuturePinUp
on 3/9/16 7:22 am

I am also 5'9" and never received a goal weight from my doctor. They just want me in the normal BMI range. I chose 160 as my goal because I also want to give myself a nice "cushion" if I experience any regain. But it's not a firm 160 - I'll really see how I feel once I get into a normal range, and work down from there. I do want to make the most of my sleeve while I'm in the early stages though so I figure shooting lower is better for me in the long run.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics