Why did you choose the sleeve?

Melanie0574
on 3/7/16 10:21 pm

I am in the process of deciding which surgery to have,and I was just curious as to what made you want the sleeve rather than a different procedure?

cappy11448
on 3/8/16 5:21 am

I decided on the sleeve because it is a bit less complicated surgery.  The pyloric valve is left intact and functioning, and there is no rerouting the intestines. 

My NP was pushing for me to have the RNY because she thought the dumping would help me keep to plan, but I did not like the idea of dumping.  Dumping is much less common with the sleeve. 

The sleeve has a long staple line, and there is some risk of complications from leaking, but once the tummy heals, there are few complications in the long run.  That appealed to me as well. 

I was very obese, and I was told the RNY would give me better results, but I did great with the sleeve.  I lost 98% of my excess body weight, going from 385 pounds, BMI of 60 to 160 pounds and a BMI of 24.  I am three years post op and I've been maintaining near my goal weight for about 20 months. 

I love my sleeve.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

obioxiupa
on 3/8/16 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing this part of your story, its inspiring to me.  The RNY has been recommended for me, but for many reasons including those you listed, I have choosen the VSG.  Thanks for sharing.

Tara

FuturePinUp
on 3/9/16 7:14 am

Exactly all of this! To add, even though I had a LOT of weight to lose, my surgeon recommended the sleeve for me because he thought I would be more successful with it based on my eating habits - I was already a protein-forward eater, but my stomach was massive. I was a total volume eater. I have never been big on sugar or carbs, so I didn't need the additional RNY benefit of dumping etc. to keep me in check.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Sandra F.
on 3/8/16 5:55 am

I thought I wanted the band for many years because it is reversible.  Then when it came down to actually preparing for surgery, I looked at the fact that my dad has the band and has gained all of his weight back plus some and doesn't get fills like he should plus the surgeon's reluctance to do a band and I decided to go with the sleeve.  I decided that if I'm going to do this, I am going to do it right.  RNY did not appeal to me as the re-routing of the intestines made me nervous.  Good luck to you on your decision. 

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/8/16 9:43 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I had a band put in 8yrs ago, this Monday I am going in to take the band out and do VSG.  The band is an odd beast that only really ask you to eat less and you can just about eat the same if you use slider foods.  I found that the results for me were I never wisened up to what "good" food actually was, I still ate stupid food I shouldn't have.  The band also encourages eating moist food with gravy, dressings, oils, and such in order for them to not get stuck.  So I developed event worse habits.  All of this of course was on me, I had a tool, it may have been the wrong tool but I choose to use it incorrectly.

The key is to also change what your eating, why your eating, and how much you really need to eat.  Any leftover food addictions, mental food issues, and times you splurge will still be looming around regardless of VSG.  I really wi**** could be used like a shield to keep me from even seeing those bad for me foods and keeping me out of those situations I have little control but it doesn't work that way.  

What I do know is that restriction will help a great deal.  Being physically unable to wolf down a buffet will help, but why are you at a buffet in the first place is going to be on you to deal with still.  

Good luck and keep in touch.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

N M.
on 3/8/16 5:24 pm

I was scared of the whole rerouting of the intestines thing. I chose the sleeve because it's full functioning stomach, just smaller.

VSG 4/2/15

HW 244

Preop 2 week diet: 223

Surgery Day 208

CW 138 (3/7/2016)

CW 154 (2/14/2017)

CW 165 (8/7/2018)

yvonnef1964
on 3/8/16 6:17 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I had family that had RNY and most of them gain weight back. I didn't like the ideal of my intestine be in rerouted.

Kathy2852
on 3/9/16 5:32 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

I didn't have a choice. I am a revision from band to sleeve and my surgeon wouldn't do a bypass on someone who has been banded. Surgery date coming up on March 29!

KattattaK
on 3/9/16 7:30 pm

HI Kathy. Why doesn't your surgeon perform RnY surgery on band patients? Just curious.

Most Active
Recent Topics