A Cold the day before surgery???

Aleena
on 3/7/16 6:50 am

oh, no, I am totally freaking out! I suddenly feel like I am getting a cold and surgery is supposed to be tomorrow!!! ? I am having my surgery don't in Mexico and I already flew down, supposed to meet the doctor early tomorrow morning and have surgery. 

What do I do? Should I contact the doctor now or just take zicam and hope it helps and talk to the doctor tomorrow? I am so upset! If my surgery gets cancelled it's going to be a long, long time before I get the chance to do it again. ?

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/7/16 8:34 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Totally could be a weather change or allergies thing.  When people travel to different regions than they are used to they may feel like they are getting a cold just from the different humidity, flowers, trees and so on.  Stay cool, and try to just relax.  Not doubt your a bit stressed out already and that alone could make you feel tired and achy alone.  Find yourself some air conditioning, lay down and drink plenty of fluids.  Don't take anything, you you never know if that drug would prevent you from having the surgery.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Aleena
on 3/7/16 8:45 am

I feel kind of dumb for panicking, I totally just remembered that I always feel like this for a couple days after flying. And I did just fly from cold, dry, wintery Montana to warm, super humid, Texas so your explanation makes a lot of sense as well. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I tend towards having some anxiety already and I have been SO nervous that something is going to happen to prevent me from having the surgery. Think I do need to just chill, maybe listen to some soothing music and drink lots of water. ð?'

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/7/16 9:21 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I feel ya, I am a self researching illness nut case most days.  I tend to self diagnose all kinds of things and then dwell on it.  But you'll be ok today and tomorrow you get to start off with your new reduced stomach tool.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/7/16 9:05 am - MI

Take a deep breath!! Take a cold eaze and get to bed early tonight. I had a cold before surgery and my doctor still proceeded! Good luck to you!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

emelar
on 3/7/16 9:32 am - TX

If it's a cold, unless it moves into your chest, they'll still do the surgery.  You're intubated for surgery, totally bypassing any head congestion.  Chest/lung is a different issue.

hollykim
on 3/7/16 1:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Pacific Time, Aleena wrote:

oh, no, I am totally freaking out! I suddenly feel like I am getting a cold and surgery is supposed to be tomorrow!!! ? I am having my surgery don't in Mexico and I already flew down, supposed to meet the doctor early tomorrow morning and have surgery. 

What do I do? Should I contact the doctor now or just take zicam and hope it helps and talk to the doctor tomorrow? I am so upset! If my surgery gets cancelled it's going to be a long, long time before I get the chance to do it again. ?

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!

as long as you don't have a fever you are good to go.

hollykim
on 3/7/16 1:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
kyzze
on 3/7/16 11:23 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

It shouldn't be a problem unless you have fever. Don't take anything, taking something might jeopardize you having surgery.

Aleena
on 3/8/16 4:07 am, edited 3/7/16 8:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!

i was told that so long as I didn't have a fever or cough up anything green that I am good to go. Yesterday I felt better and better as the day went on and this morning I feel great. I rarely ever fly and I forget every time that it makes me feel like I am getting a cold for a few days after I fly. 

I am am doing great and all set for my big day! 

Most Active
Recent Topics