This maintenance stuff is tough! (updated plastic surgery progress pics too)

Nikke2003
on 3/5/16 2:51 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Hey all! I am a guilty "post and run" kind of post-opper these days. I still check in and read posts but to be honest, most of the time by the time I get a chance to read anything... questions and advice has been given and I usually don't have too much more to add.

About six months ago, I started a new job that has me traveling almost every single week. I'm a country bumpkin at heart and so sometimes it really does "hit" me that I now am living a life where a company pays all of my expenses to fly around the country to client's offices and do my job. It has been a wonderful experience and certainly not something I could do at 444 lbs - that's for sure!

This maintenance this is tough. I was doing ok with it prior to traveling, but I will admit that the last six months has given me a kick in the behind. I have gained 9 lbs and I'm putting my foot DOWN. Truthfully, it isn't the food that is getting me... it's the alcohol. Not. Cool. Whether it is alcohol or any other kind of calorie filled liquid - it truly is scary how you really don't have to drink that much to throw off the hard work you do with the food consumption. So, the party is over... I'm getting my act together and the weight is coming off. Thank goodness!

The truth is, if you are honest with yourself and stay on top of the amount of calories you are consuming, the weight will always fall off. When I'm gaining or not losing... I know exactly why. There is no secret - I'm consuming more calories than my body burns. Period. This is the single most important piece of information, in my opinion, that we all have keep in mind.

So anyway, I'm also 18 months out from my first round of plastic surgery and 9 months out from a revision, as well as a thigh lift. If you are interested in those photos... check out my blog (in the signature) and use the password capella2014

Congrats to all the newbies having surgery! It truly was the best decision I have ever made!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Grim_Traveller
on 3/5/16 3:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Great post Nikke. I couldn't agree more. I feel bad for those whose doctors and nutritionists tell them to ignore calories. It's horrible advice. Calories matter.

One of the things I love about this new lease on life -- controlling weight is finally in my control. Eat a little too much for too long, and watch the scale go up. Cut back for a while see the scale go down. It is NOT easy. But it is entirely within my control. And I love that I can actually do it.

From the beginning, you have kicked ass Nikke. You're a great example. 9 pounds will be a piece of cake. Or some other apt metaphor.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/16 5:07 pm

So nice to see you pop in! Glad life is going well. That's pretty damn awesome. 

You continue to be a rock star! Your honest reflection and willingness to do what it takes to correct your weight direction is admirable. Sure, it may not be the easiest thing to do, but since you understand that it really is about calories you'll do fine. The ones that worry me are the ones who think it's just about eating less, drinking less, or the "that's why I got surgery - so I wouldn't have to diet" group that give me pause. 

Having had regain to deal with, I know losing regain is totally doable and something that can be overcome. 9 pounds, plus the few extra that you didn't want hanging around when you started the job, will come off easily when you set your mind to it.

I still am in awe of what you have been able to accomplish on your journey! You are one hell of an awesome young woman! 

Laura in Texas
on 3/6/16 5:28 am

At 3 year out, **** gets real...lol. Good for you for wanting to lose the 9 pounds now. Do not fall into the trap of, "Well I still look good, so it doesn't matter". You do look great, but 9 can snowball really quickly. 9 is much easier to lose than 40.

Responsibility is definitely key. You've got this!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cappy11448
on 3/6/16 6:47 am

Hi Nikke,

Its nice to hear from you.  Your job sounds like fun.  I'm glad you are thriving. 

Thanks for posting this insightful message.  It is all in our control. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics