Have surgery or not.....

Grim_Traveller
on 3/4/16 6:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Complications from revision surgery are astronomically higher than initial surgeries. Results are not nearly as good. Long term outlooks are not good.

People are much, much better off getting it right the first time.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 3/4/16 5:07 am - Warren, OH

Switching surgeries is not as easy as returning a shirt at WalMart.  Many insurance companies will only pay for one weight loss surgery per lifetime. 

The DS is not a solution for GERD.  You retain the sleeve.  Changing to RNY is a complicated surgery and there are very few surgeons who are proficient at doing that.  Better to research and get the right surgery the first time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

BayouGirl
on 3/4/16 7:22 am

UGH I don't know what to do!! I keep praying but nothing! LOL

emelar
on 3/4/16 8:14 am - TX

Speak to your surgeon.  GERD is definitely an issue with the sleeve.  It may be fixed by the surgery if it's caused by a hiatal hernia, or it may not.  It may get worse.  I had Type II diabetes when I had surgery.  It's been in remission since the day of surgery.  If your pre-diabetes is being triggered by the weight, then losing it will help.  There are simply no iron-clad guarantees with any of the surgeries.

Yes, do the surgery now, assuming you've tried to lose the weight before and either can't or can't keep it off.  There's no sense in waiting until you're morbidly obese to get your weight under control.  It sounds like your fear is connected with surgery in general.  Believe it or not, that's the easy part!  All you have to do is show up.

ChristyO
on 3/4/16 12:49 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

No, You need the RNY, will cure GERD. Cures diabetes and high blood pressure do not get the sleeve your GE RD would only get extremely worse.

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

boudiceatx
on 3/8/16 4:29 pm

I was 60 pounds overweight, pre-diabetic, with GERD and I had the sleeve.  I had a moderate sized hiatal hernia (whatever that means) and once they fixed the hernia the GERD went away.  I don't take medication for GERD anymore.  It's gone.  So, definitely talk to your surgeon to see if a hernia may be the cause of your GERD.  With only 60 pounds to lose my surgeon only gave me the choice of a sleeve or the band, so I couldn't have had the RNY even if I had wanted to.  He wouldn't have agreed to do it.

Most Active
Recent Topics