"FORKS over KNIVES" PLEASE WATCH!

PapaJack
on 4/5/16 3:49 pm - VA
On March 2, 2016 at 10:57 PM Pacific Time, boudiceatx wrote:

PapaJack, there's a bariatric surgeon out of Houston that promotes a vegan lifestyle.  His name is Dr. Garth Davis, and he's on facebook.  He just wrote a book called Proteinaholic.  You should check him out if you haven't already.

Thanks I will check him out.

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

PapaJack
on 4/5/16 4:05 pm - VA

We all had weight loss surgery because we were eating the western diet.  I am five years out.  You will gain your weight back unless you learn about the western diet & how it affects our bodies.  Watching Forks over Knives is not about eating vegan.  It is about eating correctly.  Friends & Family members I know no longer have high blood pressure.  There diabetes have been reversed.  There heart problems have gone away.  Weight comes off & the cravings for food away. When you eat right the body fixes itself.  This is about knowledge.  What you do with it is your choice.  But at leas****ch the movie & if you wan****ch these Doctors on you tube. I wish I had this knowledge years ago.  

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

Grim_Traveller
on 4/6/16 4:27 am, edited 4/5/16 10:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On April 5, 2016 at 11:05 PM Pacific Time, PapaJack wrote:

We all had weight loss surgery because we were eating the western diet.  I am five years out.  You will gain your weight back unless you learn about the western diet & how it affects our bodies.  Watching Forks over Knives is not about eating vegan.  It is about eating correctly.  Friends & Family members I know no longer have high blood pressure.  There diabetes have been reversed.  There heart problems have gone away.  Weight comes off & the cravings for food away. When you eat right the body fixes itself.  This is about knowledge.  What you do with it is your choice.  But at leas****ch the movie & if you wan****ch these Doctors on you tube. I wish I had this knowledge years ago.  

No, we all had weight loss surgery because we were eating wayyyyyyy to much, and most of it was crap. And the crap was actually plant based, in fact. ****ty carbs.

My weight has been steady as a rock and my health perfect for 3 years, and I don't do a single thing this documentary says I should.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/6/16 10:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Major, MAJOR issues with this film from a scientific POV. From a high level:

• It lumps all animal-based food products together. In that perspective, a quadruple cheeseburger is treated the same as broiled fish or egg whites.

• The examples of veg*ns who improved their health went on diets that were far more specific than "don't eat meat." There's no way to tell if the loss was from the vegetables, or because they stopped eating junk food.

• There's a blanket assumption that Western diets are meat-based, and Eastern diets are plant-based. The Orientalist spin of "these traditional cultures are so much wiser than ours" is bunk. On a high level, Asian diets are often lower in meat because there's less land for livestock, which makes meat more expensive and therefore out of reach for many people-- who are better able to grow their own vegetables and eat those instead. (Don't have the citation offhand on that one.)

• Zero mention of portion sizes.

• The word "veganism" is almost never used, instead there are friendlier, more neutral words like "plant-based diet." Probably because of the social connotations of veganism. Plant based diet sounds wiser and more healthy, never mind that french fries, potato chips, and other crap are ALSO plant-based.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics