VSG scheduled! 03/03/2016 Excited, nervous and scared.

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/16 11:57 am
VSG on 03/03/16

Hello, I am new to this group and am scheduled for my procedure 3/3/2016 Yikes!! I have done really bad on my pre-op diet, I think I am a self sabotager. Every time I seem to make a little progress I eat what I am not suppose to.

I am a self pay so no insurance was involved. I am concerned about not sticking to the pre op diet and my procedure is in less than a week..any insight on this??

Thanks for reading and sharing any input and surgery input is welcome too! 

Anything I should get other than gas x?

White Dove
on 2/29/16 12:31 pm - Warren, OH

I hope you are getting therapy. Changing old habits requires a lot of help.  Your surgery is a waste if you cannot stick to the food plan after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/16 12:35 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

Nope no therapy, thanks for your input.  I was concerned with that myself.  I am hoping for the best.

stacyrg
on 2/29/16 2:55 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

The one thing I am concerned about is your statement that you're "hoping for the best."  There is no hoping for the best with this surgery.  You must be proactive and take control of your eating, supplements and activity.  I truly believe that if you don't take control of these three things, it's very difficult to be successful.  Will it be more difficult for you without the support of a NUT or therapy, maybe, but that means you have to be even more involved and not leave things to chance.  There's plenty of information here as to what you should and should not eat at all stages post surgery.  Also, even though you're self-pay, your surgeon should provide you with a food plan.  It would serve you well to pay attention to that.  Finally, since you have health insurance, I would check to see if any mental health care is covered.  You may be pleasantly surprised and I have found it to be an invaluable tool.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery, take control of your health and don't just hope for the best and leave things to chance!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/29/16 4:03 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I agree with Stacy.  Hoping for the best isn't going to make you successful.  Determination and commitment will, which it sounds like you're lacking since you're cheating on your preop diet.

It sounds to me like you haven't addressed your issues with food.   The therapy I had to qualify for surgery at my surgeon's office was a joke.  I sought therapy after my surgery to address my disordered eating.  

Weight loss surgery will fail you if you fail to change your relationship with food.  I wish you the best, but I think you need to take it more seriously.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/16 12:42 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

I would like to add even though I have "cheated" I still have lost 8 pounds and am feeling really good about that. I am a self pay so therefore therapy, nutritionist and all those steps insurance requires you to do are out of reach as I cannot afford all of that on my own.

I do have insurance it is just bariatric and weightloss is not covered.

I am doing this because I have PCOS and Type 2 diabetes I have a young son (2 year old) I would love to keep up with.  I have never been a skinny person but I have always been active to an extent and I miss that terribly.

I know this surgery will not be a "golden ticket" I have done my research.  I put this up because I guess I wanted to say hello to everyone and see what input you all may have as everyone seemed nice and helpful.

As far as me cheating I never knew I had such bad eating habits until I started this pre-op diet it was a HUGE eye opener and therefore I have struggled with it.

sleeve_scholar
on 2/29/16 12:45 pm
VSG on 03/09/15

I'm a bit concerned for you not following the pre-op diet before surgery! That in and of itself is scary enough, the pre-op diet is to ensure that you shrink your liver so that your surgeon can do what needs to be when they enter your abdomen. I still have my box of gas x strips and didn't use many of them at all. Recovery was a breeze, I had zero issues, and very minimal pain. I was off all pain meds by day four.

All the best o you for a safe and speedy recovery!

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -- Jim Rohn

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/16 12:53 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

Thank you for the reply!! I really am taking all of this in, as I don't know anyone personally that has went through this or had any bariatric procedure done.

I know it is bad I did not follow my pre-op diet to a T I am on it 110% as I am now 4 days til the big day. I have been very honest with my dr. in regards to this and I know it has to do with my liver and the procedure, I am hoping everything goes without a hitch!  

I guess my biggest thing is, I did not realize how bad I was with food!  

Thanks for the kind words!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/29/16 4:05 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're obese, diabetic and having weight loss surgery. And you didn't realize you had a problem with food?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 2/29/16 4:18 pm
VSG on 03/03/16

Yep thats right 100% Hag...bet that sums your personality to a T with a comment like that...glad it didn't take me to reach 400+ pounds to figure it out.

Most Active
Recent Topics