1 week post op and very hungry!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 8:32 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

I am hungry a lot. I am following a stage 3 diet that my surgeon gave me which is a liquid diet 60 protein  60 Oz fluids. I can have sf pudding which I make with premier protein shake (vanilla) broth, egg whites whisked in broth, sf jello, sf popsicles and I am getting my fluids and protein in without an issue. It may take me 2 hours to get an 11 Oz shake down but I have not had issues. I get a full feeling but it doesnt last long at all, then I am hungry again. I am taking Omeprazole daily for acid. Is being this hungry normal, I feel more hungry than during my prep liquid diet phase ..  

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 9:51 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

So first of all you're doing well if you are hitting protein and water goals this early out. I am not a vet I will be 10 weeks out as of tomorrow, but in my limited experience it sounds like you're experiencing head hunger. Basically this is your body fighting back at the severe reduction of calories it is receiving which it doesn't understand. This is actually a throw back to early man and a protection mechanism when our bodies sense we are starving (aka taking in a very limited number of calories) it consumes our thoughts with "food food food eat eat eat" your body is basically confused and thinks you're starving it so it is doing everything it can to make you eat before it attacks your fat stores (which is the last resort for it) this is the same principal as why traditional food restriction diets (with no RNY and VSG) do not work and why they can cause binge eating.

I remember going through this when I was only 2-3ish weeks out and it is miserable I craved all the unhealthy foods I used to eat like things deep fried and full of sugar. All you can do is distract yourself with other activities, whatever it may be for you, maybe crocheting, coloring, cleaning, laundry, spending time with spouse/loved ones, walking,  etc. You also have to remember the vagus nerve in your stomach was cut so essentially your body doesn't have a restricted feeling a 100% yet (yes you may get full easy but just wait until you're further out and you will feel full restriction) and it won't until that nerve repairs itself. Just my two cents from research and reading the forums/medical articles etc. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/16 5:30 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thanks, this was a huge help, everytime I see head hunger , I am like no I am really hungry, like stomach growling hungry, but now I get what it means. Patience is key, I know I am not the only one going through this, it is also a depressing phase, I just wasn't prepared for this part as much I guess. I am so grateful to be here with everyone because it us so helpful making me feel normal and not crazy lol 

Thank you 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/25/16 11:48 am - MI

Are you on a PPI? I would make sure its not acid and make sure you get at least 64 ounces of water/liquid in a day! Good luck! It gets better! I swear.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/16 5:09 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

I am on Omeprazole daily 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/25/16 5:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It could also still be acid. Lots of people have to try a few different kinds of acid reducers and dosages before they find a combination that works best.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JudithJohnson
on 2/25/16 7:31 am
VSG on 12/03/15

This is definitely head hunger. Your body is freaking out due to the lack of calories it gets and it triggers your mind to think that you need to eat. Hunger is not the problem, so food is not the answer. The key is to drink more water, or in my case, sugar free popsicles helped a lot. Try to keep yourself busy/distracted from the food thoughts. This phase will pass and stop once your stomach actually has the ability to feel full again. You're doing great!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/16 5:10 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you 

LosinginAZ
on 2/25/16 7:43 am

I had the same feeling and I thought maybe I was the one person VSG didn't work for  It goes away. Once you can eat more solid protein, you will be super full super fast. Hang in there, you have made it through the hard part :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/16 3:56 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you 

Most Active
Recent Topics