Stuck!

priyanka_chaks
on 2/22/16 8:17 pm
VSG on 02/06/16

Hi all.

I had my VSG on 6th Feb 2016, and its been just 17 days and I have lost about 19 pounds. But since I started on the pureed food diet about a week back, my weight has kind of stuck. I have in fact gained back 1 and a half pounds since then. I am not eating carbs (except for oatmeal for breakfast), and I am taking my protein in the form of Peptamen and Herbalife (soy protein). My water intake is not that great (maybe 800 ml to 1.2 liter a day) I am walking about 3-4 days a week and have even started back at the gym (only cardio) after clearing it with my surgeon. Please let me know if I have reached a plateau regarding my weight or I need to do something more to maximise my weight loss. 

P.S.: I am more comfortable using the metric system, so my weight is in Kilograms in my ticker.

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/16 8:35 pm

Totally normal! You've lost a lot in a short time. A little stall is very, very normal. Search "3 week stall" and you'll see just how common this is! 

Is there a reason you are using soy proteins. They are not as readily absorbed by the body. If you can manage Whey Protein Isolate, that would be better for your body. If you're lactose intolerant, never mind! 

Do push the water. Make that your job. You should be drinking 2 liters per day. 

So, looking at the Herbalife soy proteins, don't fool yourself about the carbs. I'm guessing you are probably getting more carbs than you think. If you are mixing the powder with water you're getting 5 carbs per drink. With only 15 grams of protein, I'm assuming your drinking about 5 or 6 of these a day to get adequate protein. That's 25-30 grams of carbs. Add your oatmeal to that (let's say a 1/4 cup) that's another 7 carbs. If you are using milk or almond milk or soy milk for your protein drinks, up the carbs even more. 

So, make sure you get your water in and track your carbs. Your little stall will pass. Don't worry. It happens to almost every one between 2 and six weeks out. 

ubserved
on 2/23/16 1:03 am

Some have disagreed with me, but like always, I don't care. I had my surgery on 11/17/15 and have a stall it seems every 4th to 5th week that last about a week or so. It's frustrating as hell, especially since I didn't do anything to change my diet at any of the stages. My daily intake for the most part is pretty constant. A combo of protein shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken salad, etc. That's a variety I tend to pull from, not eaten all at once mind you. Anyways, the stall would have me hovering about the same or even gain a bit. From the research I did on other posters here that endured stalls. You body is still healing, and is most definitely still pissed at you. Your body is still adjusting to the new you and the new signals your stomach is sending out. Just hang in there, persevere and you will get past it. I know when I do and step on the scale and see like a 3-4 pound loss from the previous day, it definitely brighten your day. I am coming up on 14 weeks and sitting at 106 pounds loss since the pre-op diet, 76 pounds of which were since surgery. Hand in there and good luck.

JudithJohnson
on 2/23/16 2:55 am
VSG on 12/03/15

This is completely normal. Your body went into ketosis after surgery and once you start eating soft foods it needs to re-adjust. I gained 2 lbs when transitioning to solid foods. Just keep following your surgeon's instructions and you will be just fine!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/23/16 9:32 am - MI

This is normal, follow your plan to the T and increase your water intake! You want to meet your water goal.

Set your scale away for a week and pay attention to how you feel, your clothes feel and how your body responds. 

Three months from now you won't even remember a stall!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

priyanka_chaks
on 2/28/16 10:03 am
VSG on 02/06/16

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. This has been really helpful. I have upped my water intake and am feeling better these days. I checked the scale today morning and was down by another pound. So yeah...am feeling good..!! :-)

Big Hugs and thank you.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics