One week away!!!

DSassano
on 2/22/16 6:13 am - Highland Park, IL
VSG on 02/29/16

Hello,

I am now officially one week out from my VSG surgery.  I got my final clearance from my primary doctor on Friday after all my pre op test result came back.  I ordered my vitamins, and protein powder.  I also went shopping yesterday and bought a few things I know that will ok for the week and during my hospital stay like broths and a few other items.  But is was also very overwhelming and being not sure of what is ok and not.  I went to the nutrition class and I seemed to have a good idea of what was acceptable but when I went to the store I went blank.  

I do have a few question for those who have had the surgery.   Some family members asked how long I would be in the recovery room for. I told them it could vary on a number of things, so I'm asking how long some of you where in the recovery room for before being moved to your room.

Also I'm starting to prepare a bag for the hospital besides the givens like personal items, clothes and things what items did you bring that you found to be the most helpful.  Thank you all.  I'm getting so nervous and excited!!!

LML8789
on 2/22/16 6:33 am

I'm really excited for you--I know this time is scary but all will go well.  As far as the items for the hospital, I was in there over night and all I needed was my phone and some lip balm.  and of course, clothes to go home with. 

As far as the recovery room, I'm not sure what the average amount of time is.  I was in there longer than normal because my blood pressure was low (which happens to me when I have any kind of surgery).  I was in there for about 4-5 hours. 

Keep us updated on your progress!!   Cheers--Lisa

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/22/16 6:43 am - MI

It's the final count down! I remember being very excited a week out.

I had to ask my family member how long before surgery was I to my room. She said after the doctor spoke to her post op it was about an hour and 15 minutes.

I packed personal items like toothbrush and deodorant. I packed some lose fitting clothes for the ride home. Along with that I packed my ipad and magazines. I didn't look at my ipad or magazines once. I was on a mission to  get out of there so when I was sleeping I was walking!

Good luck! It sounds like you're well prepared!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Grim_Traveller
on 2/22/16 11:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations. It'll be over before you know it.

I needed almost nothing at the hospital. I wore loose fitting clothes to the hospiral, and wore the same clothes home. I brought my phone and charger. I never touched anything else.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

gibbygal
on 2/24/16 6:34 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I am with you.  I packed several things and didn't need them.  

FuturePinUp
on 2/22/16 12:25 pm

Being in the recovery room really depends on how fast you can get a bed. I was in there for like 5-6 hours until they placed me in my regular room. 

As far what to bring, I was OK just wearing loose clothes to the hospital (changed into them when getting discharged), a phone/charger, extra pillow (also great for the car ride home), and soft chapstick/balm. The chapstick was an ultimate life-saver since my lips were almost cracking from the lack of any fluids (not even water is allowed for the 24 hours post-op, until a leak-test is done and you pass). The chapstick offered some relief.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

SKINNYDREAM82
on 2/23/16 9:35 pm
On February 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM Pacific Time, DSassano wrote:

Hello,

I am now officially one week out from my VSG surgery.  I got my final clearance from my primary doctor on Friday after all my pre op test result came back.  I ordered my vitamins, and protein powder.  I also went shopping yesterday and bought a few things I know that will ok for the week and during my hospital stay like broths and a few other items.  But is was also very overwhelming and being not sure of what is ok and not.  I went to the nutrition class and I seemed to have a good idea of what was acceptable but when I went to the store I went blank.  

I do have a few question for those who have had the surgery.   Some family members asked how long I would be in the recovery room for. I told them it could vary on a number of things, so I'm asking how long some of you where in the recovery room for before being moved to your room.

Also I'm starting to prepare a bag for the hospital besides the givens like personal items, clothes and things what items did you bring that you found to be the most helpful.  Thank you all.  I'm getting so nervous and excited!!!

I am so jealous I am still waiting for all of my clearances be brave and update us.

gibbygal
on 2/24/16 6:36 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I did the same as you.  I bought tons of supplies pre-surgery, only to come home and find that I hate the smell of foods now.  The protein shakes I loved before now smell like rotting eggs to me.  Other than that, I am so happy I had this surgery, and I just had it a week ago yesterday.  You will be so happy! I am so happy for you too!

Most Active
Recent Topics