Today is 4 months since surgery . . .

TerriLMac
on 2/21/16 11:00 pm

So many positive things have happened since my surgery on October 21st.  My knees no longer ache, all of my bloodwork is in the normal range including cholesterol, HDL, LDL, etc., I am so much quicker on the tennis court, and I actually like the way I look in clothes now.  But the best part is I've lost 71 pounds!  Day of surgery I was 268 and today am 197 and I can now fit into a size 12 (I'm 5'8").

A few thoughts:

• I'm still what I would call "mourning" the loss of food as an enjoyable activity.
  • Eating is kind of a chore now, a necessity.
  • I do get hungry now, but can't eat any more than I could when I first started solids.
  • I still think it's sad that I had to resort to surgery in order to control my eating.
  • Would I change any of the above?  NO!  I just should have done it sooner.

I'm still 35 to 40 pounds to my goal, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I have struggled with my weight for 25 years and it's just nice to feel like a normal person again.  If you're on the fence about VSG, you won't regret it.

My next update I'll post some pics!  

Terri

ejirish
on 2/22/16 3:16 am

TRULY amazing!! Congrats to you! VERY inspiring!!

Mine should be in May...I'm looking forward to it!

eskienut
on 2/22/16 5:03 am
VSG on 02/24/16

Congrats to you! I needed to see this today as my surgery is in 2 days. Best of luck on your continued journey.

53 years old   5.4   HW 265 SW 248 CW 218

Surgery 2/24/2015 at UVA with Dr. Hallowell.

animallover1247
on 2/22/16 5:33 am

Reading posts like this helps because I am one week post op and having some issues. Hope it's going to get better! 

ocean4dlm
on 2/22/16 6:39 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Great job !!  It sounds like you are building some great habits that will serve you well.  I caution you not to look at surgery as a "last resort that saddens you".  I lost and regained 100+ pounds three times, prior to my VSG.  I needed the metabolism reboot, smaller capacity /restriction, and forced acquisition of new skills. Knowing that and acting upon it makes us strong warriors !!!  Keep up the excellent results !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/22/16 6:51 am - MI

Great news and way to go! I can't wait to see some progress pictures!! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/22/16 7:41 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So how about a top 5 keys to your weight loss.  I'm getting mine in 3 weeks and you've posted some serious loss so of course many of us would love to know what's helped you

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

TerriLMac
on 2/22/16 10:30 pm

It didn't take me long at all to think about this question, and I really only have 1 key to share to my weight loss - I follow the plan my surgeon and nutritionist gave me.  That is truly the key to my weight loss.  I get in my protein, first and foremost, every single day and I don't wander off plan.  I don't eat added sugar and I don't eat added carbs.  I don't crave them, so I don't eat them.  Protein fills me up and I rarely have room for fruits or veges, but I do eat them once in a while.  My daily diet is usually about the same:

Breakfast:  Unjury Chocolate Protein Shake (blend in my Magic Bullet 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice, 1 scoop protein)

Snack:  One poached egg with 1 piece of bacon or 1 turkey sausage

Lunch:  2 to 3 oz. chicken, shrimp, salmon or beef (usually cold leftovers - I LOVE cold protein)

Snack:  Oikos Triple Zero yogurt (banana cream, strawberry, mixed berry or vanilla)

Dinner:  2 to 3 oz. chicken, shrimp, salmom or beef or 1/2 cup of turkey chili (in the can)

Snack:  Sometimes I just drink a cup of milk, or a few almonds, or a string cheese, or some beef jerky, or a few strawberries, or 1/2 cup cottage cheese

I have failed so many times at losing weight and I fear failing again.  I had to pay for my surgery myself, so I am determined NOT to fail this time as it would be a double-edged sword.  I hope my sleeve continues to perform well and limit my portions, which so far it has done wonderfully and without fail.  I stop eating before I'm full because my new stomach still isn't good at telling me when I'm full but I can tell by the portion I eat if it's enough now.  If I eat past that, I get nauseous and very uncomfortable.  It was a learning process.

I hope this helps and good luck with your upcoming surgery.  

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/23/16 1:29 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  Certainly what you're doing is being done by many of those who are doing well on here.  I see a definite recurrence of simple foods such as just meat, just yogurt, and just cheese, not a mix of things such as a casserole or a complex dish like spaghetti.  I've been watching closely what people are choosing and your diet above is what I'm looking to do here in the weeks/months to come to be as successful as I can be as well.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

winchester2514
on 2/23/16 10:52 am

Hi Terri,

Thanks for posting such an inspiring message.  My surgery is set for March 25th and I need all the inspiration I can get.  I've been on this journey for 7 months and have been very enthusiastic and excited about the surgery and the prospect of feeling good about myself physically and mentally. But for some reason the closer my surgery date gets the more hesitant and anxious I'm becoming about the surgery.  So it's always good to read positive posts about the decision to have VSG surgery.

Jo

Most Active
Recent Topics