Instantpot accessories

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 6:37 am

Here are a few of my favorite accessories for the Instant Pot. And one that is on my list to get eventually. What else are the Pot Heads using that is helping our vsg lifestyle?

Bamboo Steamer  I use this for broccoli (Steam setting, 0 minutes) and Potstickers (Steam setting, 7 minutes) lined with parchment paper. This is only the 6 inch, and the 7 inch does fit if you want more room. I wanted more clearance around the steamer to make it easier to get in and out, and since most days I cook only for 2 this holds enough. 

Silicon trivet/steamer I am struggling with getting the pot in pot (PIP) out, especially with custard. This is handy since the handles can wrap around the pot to pull it out. Haven't tried it yet, but will be shortly.

Slotted spoon thingy Too fish out the solids when I make broth. This can even pull out fried foods (not that I make those at all, but useful!)

Pyrex bowls with lids This is not the set that I have, but this is the idea anyway. I bought a set cheap either at Costco or Sams, and they are round. Sets in the IP for some of the sizes, and I use it for the PIP option frequently.

Cheesecake pan- I have one  that will fit, but if I start using it I won't stop. I am going to find a new home for this one. 

Things on my list: 

Dessert pans This can make a full meal by layering items in the pot. I have not had the bamboo steamer long, so I am holding off to see if the steamer will suffice in the layering. 

Digital thermometer for yogurt. Not sure what type yet, but I will look it up on the FB group for recommendations. The one I have now is a pain to read, and I want to set it up so I can leave it in for a constant reading. 

Cookbooks- I have a couple that I am using a lot, but they do not stay flat when in use. I am going to take them up to Staples and get them spiral bound. The FB folks are saying it is cheap and makes them so much more usable. 

Any other gadgets out there they you find handy?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/16 7:33 am

I got an extra silicon ring for the lid. The silicon retains smell and I wash mine by hand or on top rack in my dishwasher.  I use one ring for mild dishes (deserts, rice) and the other for really fragrant - like Indian, Mexican, or fish...  

Add the clear lid for when you saute, or slow cook in the IP. Or when you want the whole SS insert to put in a fridge. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 8:55 am

Oh, forgot about the rings. I did just buy 2 extra. I have not had smell issues yet though, but if it happens I am ready! I keep reading on the FB group that if the ring starts to pick up cooking odors, to put it out in the sun for several hours. Of course, here in Michigan sun is in short supply at the moment- but for our warmer climate folks that might help. 

I have debated about the clear lid for the slow cooker. I stopped using my slow cooker because it is not something that works well for our schedules here, so for now anyway I am going to hold off. I should see if one of my lids works though for sautee- that is a good idea!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 2/21/16 2:18 pm

happy teacher wrote: "What else are Pot Heads using..."

Pothead sure doesn't mean now what it did when I was a young 'un.  Any recipes for Instant-Pot "brownies"?

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 3:25 pm

Ya know, I couldn't resist. I googled "Instant Pot brownie recipe", and sure enough loads of cannibus recipes were the result. There is this on though for those of us who do not imbibe in the cannibus thing.

psychoticparrot
on 2/21/16 5:17 pm

As if I wasn't already impatient enough to get to my new IP! Just kidding ... those days are long gone. 

psychoticparrot

michellemj
on 2/21/16 6:32 pm

I'm basic.

I just ordered a springform pan so I could do cheesecake for the inlaws.

and I did order a steamer basket, but it hasn't come yet.

my current potholders and whatnot work well. I will say I cook A LOT. and I consider myself decent in the kitchen. I own a thermapen (thermometer) and I bake by weight. I don't eat yogurt anymore, but it's prob similar.

I love cookbooks. but. Internet. there's so much. and it's just easier to cook via phone/computer/ipad/etc instead of a book. and it makes me sad.

Gadgets won't make you better in the kitchen. Experiment. Be willing to fail (most times, you won't).

michellemj
on 2/21/16 6:35 pm

For now, I've been able to solve ring smell w. pressure cooking lemons w. 2 cups of water w lemon and purification essential oil.

if it still smells bone brothy...then I'll soak in oil/soap mix.

NYMom222
on 2/21/16 9:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have a silicone steamer that works great in the insta pot.

I also have an 8" x 3" cake pan (I think Wilton) that fits perfectly. I used to work at a commercial cheesecake factory and they never used springform pans.

The thermometer I have is this one... I like it because the extra long probe makes it easier to use. Have found it to be accurate.

Taylor Thermometer

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

happyteacher
on 2/22/16 3:06 am

How do you get a cheesecake out of the pan in one piece? I would imagine flipping it would mar the top??

Most Active
Recent Topics