Now I'll love on my Instant Pot!

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 8:57 am

Could you update and let me know if the chicken worked? Awesome if it does from frozen!! Are you planning on using a trivet or just dropping it in the juice?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 2/21/16 9:33 am

I think I'll use the trivet since I have it in there to steady the ribs. Amount of chicken pieces will depend on how many I can get in there fully submerged as I've read that frozen chicken should only be boiled rather than steamed.

Fingers crossed. and if it doesn't work, meh. The thighs were cheap enough. ;)

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 9:53 am

I don't believe I didn't realize this until just now. I didn't use a trivet for my ribs, and was wondring why the bones were completely cleaned of meat on one end. I bet that was the end submerged in the liquid. Duh. Will use a trivet next time for sure! I also didn't realize to put frozen chicken submerged. Great timing, as tonight is chicken and dumplings, and I will use frozen thighs. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 2/21/16 9:55 am

I've never done frozen, so I'm just going by this:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/how-to-pressure-cook-frozen-meat/

happyteacher
on 2/21/16 5:23 pm

Made chicken and dumplings tonight with frozen chicken thighs. Turned out good, but it took longer than I thought from frozen. Ended up adding an extra 10 minutes (2 5 minute increases) and two natural releases. 

michellemj
on 2/21/16 6:10 pm

ok. 2-2lb rib slabs. and I ended up getting 4 frozen chicken thighs in there.

30min, high. NPR (with some help. after 15 min...I got impatient).

everything was amazing. Ribs were falling off and it was hard to get out of pot. Chicken was great.

There were 4 of us (and I eat vsg portion), I'm left with half slab of ribs and one chicken thigh.

happyteacher
on 2/24/16 1:41 pm

Great to know frozen thighs can go 30 minutes. Maybe less if you were not doing ribs, but at least it is a target number. 

bob-h
on 2/24/16 5:11 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12
On February 21, 2016 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

I don't believe I didn't realize this until just now. I didn't use a trivet for my ribs, and was wondring why the bones were completely cleaned of meat on one end. I bet that was the end submerged in the liquid. Duh. Will use a trivet next time for sure! I also didn't realize to put frozen chicken submerged. Great timing, as tonight is chicken and dumplings, and I will use frozen thighs. 

Ok. I surrender.  What the he'll is a trivet?   

And as as far as your bones having no meat on the ends, that's normal as the meat shrinks. When I do ribs in my smoker that is the sure sign that they are done. 

Just used mine last night for baby backs. I put in 2 slabs and about 1 cup of apple juice. Set the stew button for 25 minutes and they come out perfect. I put a dry rub on them first. 

Im wondering though if the stew button was the right one after I got finished. Do you use the pressure button for your ribs? 

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

happyteacher
on 2/24/16 1:49 pm

Bob, you opened the box!!!!!!!  I am so proud of you!!!!!! No dusty IP sitting in your basement for you!!

Trivet- the thing that came with your IP. It is a metal contraption that you set in the bottom of the pot. Then you put stuff on it so it does not sit directly in the water (or whatever the liquid is you are using). It is the thingy that has handles that fold up so you can rea*****at your own peril) to retrieve. 

The buttons- there is not much of a difference between the buttons, other than they use preset times. The meat button defaults to 30 minutes compared to the bean button, which I believe also defaults to 30 minutes. Kind of silly The rice button is different- that is a fully automatic one that gauges how much rice and liquid you have and adjusts accordingly... but that is only for white rice. Have not taken the time to fully understand the presets, but that is the gist.

The one button that is noteworthy is your steam button. This uses a higher temperature, so it will bring your pot to pressure faster. If you need to cook something that is on a trivet, this is your fastest method. The pressure is comparable, so the differences is that time to get to pressure. Do not use this with food or sauce directly on the bottom- it will scorch from what I am reading.

Another tip is turn your pot on and set it, then you can start to add ingredients... the liquid part the can heat up while you are dicing onions or whatever and this can save a lot of time getting it to pressure. 

How did your ribs turn out?

happyteacher
on 2/24/16 1:51 pm

Oh, forgot to add... thanks for letting me know about the ribs/meat off the bone issue. I am not a big meat eater, and really don't like cooking meat so I tend to not be highly skilled in meat prep. At least the IP makes it a little less gross!

Most Active
Recent Topics