More poop talk.

LeapSecond
on 2/19/16 1:30 am - AR

My only real inconvenience of WLS has been maintaining regular bowel movements.  Pre op I had beautiful bowel movements.  Because I was eating so much and often I had beautiful bowel movements 2-3 times a day.  No reading magazines or papers for me.  I was in and out.  From locking the door to washing my hands was mere seconds... not so much anymore.  Post op has been the art of finding the right combo of fiber, laxative, probiotics and straining.  I have chronic pain, so throw in some narcotic pain control, and it takes the art of balancing constipation prevention to the extreme.  

What had I tried you ask?  I started my day with the highest numbered and most strains of probiotic I can afford. Followed by coffee with creamer and Miralax.  Chase that with the first dose of fiber 4 times a day.  If I was too constipated I didn't hesitate to take another dose of Miralax.  I had resigned myself to the fact that life after VSG was going to be a real strain.  I would rather be constipated than fat any day. 

So I started researching probiotics and that is when I discovered Kefir.  I bought some milk Kefir grains from Amazon for $7.  Learned how to grow them from the university of YouTube and was well on my way to saving some money on expensive probiotics and replace them with a healthy, natural alternative.  I have been drinking it every morning for 3 weeks.  (It is an acquired taste, think sparkling buttermilk)

To my surprise it has side effects.  Great side effects.  Quick in the bathroom side effects.  Strain relief.  First, I stopped the expensive probiotics.  Then I backed off of the fiber capsules.  Next I stopped the Miralax.   Now the only thing I require for my bowel regime is Kefir.  I'm happy that my bowels are happy.  Kefir is sometimes call the happy drink.  I now understand why.  

I don't know if this will work for anyone else.  I don't know if it will continue to work for me.  I don't know if store bought kefir works too because I have never tried it.  Just thought I would share.  Maybe overshare.  Maybe help. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

ocean4dlm
on 2/19/16 2:33 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/19/16 6:16 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I would be scared to try and make it myself.. I once tried to pickle cucumbers and almost poisoned myself, lol

I had issues before surgery but never tried kefir.. thank you for the tip, I'll pick some up and give it a whirl 

SilverGirl2015
on 2/19/16 8:33 am

Not a fan of kefir, but I like your way with words!

beelitehobbies
on 2/19/16 7:06 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

The one and only drawback for me having a VSG has been constipation. My case is the same as yours. Never a day constipated in my 55 years until the VSG.

Will give the idea a try

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/16 10:45 pm

Name of the Kefir grains, PLEASE! I would love to give your method a try. 

LeapSecond
on 2/20/16 3:15 am - AR

Milk kefir grains.  There is a water kefir but they are different and don't provide as many probiotics.  You can make water kefir with milk kefir grains but they will not proliferate and you have to use sugar as a starter.  There are tons of people selling or giving these away.  If you know anybody that grows it they will be glad to share.  I have shared in the past week.  They send about a tablespoon full with directions.  Amazon, probably eBay and Etsy all have multiple sellers.  Here is a link to where I bought through Amazon they have gone up to $9

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGMB2MU?psc=1&redirect=t rue&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Also a link to one of the better YouTube videos on how to do it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH7L_ZfVU3A&index=22&list=WL

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/16 8:59 am

Thanks! 

Will definitely check it out.

Most Active
Recent Topics