Three Months Post-Sleeve Surgery, Ive Stopped Losing Weight

alyssa9933
on 2/17/16 11:49 pm, edited 2/17/16 11:53 pm - LA

I had my sleeve surgery a little over 3 months ago.  Pre-surgery I lost 30 lbs and post-surgery I am down another 53 lbs for a total loss so far of 83 lbs.  I started at 450 and am now at 377.  Problem is that since I have started on regular healthy foods instead of liquids and a super restrictive diet I haven't lost anything.  I go up and down 2 or 3 lbs a week for the last 3 weeks or so.  I realize that I am eating things with more calories but I am still eating small amounts because my body won't let me eat much even if I wanted too.  I am thankful for that because that was the purpose of the surgery but I didn't expect this.  I am going to try to jump start the weight loss again by going back on liquids for a week or two and see what happens.  Has anyone else out there had a similar experience?  Is it normal for this to happen and how long can I expect it to be like this?

frisco
on 2/18/16 12:09 am, edited 2/17/16 4:07 pm

Your probably consuming to many calories.

Only a guess, because you don't mention any counting..... only "Super restrictive diet".... how long is a small piece of string?

The majority (majority means most but not all) of VSGers that lose to goal are in a for real 600-800 daily calorie range.

Me, I wouldn't go back to liquids, I would cut the food back..... but, whatever works !

It takes about 400 cals a day below your balance point to resume a med rate of WL.

You have done well in your WL (Yay!) and the more weight you lose, your body is running more efficiently and requires fewer calories. Just think how many more calories you would burn if you carried an 83lbs. backpack around 24/7

Hope this helps....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/16 12:10 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm sorry you're struggling Alyssa. I would post a sample typical menu of how you are eating daily because then the vets on the board can give you hints or critique where you need to tweak how you are eating. I am only 9 weeks out so I don't have a ton of knowledge, but I will tell you what Kairk (a veteran on the boards) told me which is keep carbs under 40 grams a day, keep protein as high as possible (shoot for north of 75 grams a day) get in as much water as you can at least 64 oz if not more a day, keep fats moderately low and calories in the 500-600 range (though I keep them in the 500-700 range lately personally but I also get like 85-90 grams protein a day usually). I hope you can figure out what is going on and jump start your weight loss again. :)

acbbrown
on 2/18/16 9:23 am - Granada Hills, CA

It's not normal and you should be dropping weight pretty easily now. I really suggest you go see your surgeon and see if he can give you a good plan for success. If not learn from the vets here. 

Having been over 400 lbs myself, I know the special challenges we face starting at a higher weight. I can tell you that I had food issues beyond what others had. If you are open, I really really think you should look into Overeaters Anonymous. It took me 4.5 years after surgery to get involved but it helps a ton. If you think you might be interested, send me a message and we will chat. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/18/16 3:00 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?  Are you drinking plenty of fluids?  Do you track what you're eating using an app like My Fitness Pal?  Are you increasing your carb intake?

I lost an average of 14 lbs per month for the first six months.  I started at a similar weight to you, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.  Can you post what you eat on a daily basis?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics