Eating the same foods over and over

Billy D.
on 2/17/16 6:17 pm

For the last 3 months all I have eaten has been limited to under 10 things: King Crab legs, Shrimp, Sea Scallops, Cottage Cheese, Beef jerky, String cheese, Kefir and occasionally Veal Cutlets. All pretty much plain with squirt of fake butter and lemon, parsley. That and 1 protein shake a day for breakfast. I can't seem to eat anything else as it disgusts me and or makes me nauseous. I can't seem to bring myself to eat chicken, fish, beef, pork, fruit and especially vegetables. 

I just last week had my Blood work and vitamin levels checked. Everything was great, better than ever with the only thing that was off was my B-12 was high. Dr said that the King Crab I was eating is naturally very high in B-12 and that I should not worry about it. 

When will I want to eat other foods? Is a limited diet OK? I used to love steak and Chicken but not anymore.

I had VS surgery in Oct of 2015, 72lbs lost. 

KathyA999
on 2/17/16 6:59 pm

A limited diet is fine, if you're taking your vitamin supplements (and possibly some fiber).  Keep checking labs every six months, and if you're not supplementing now, do so when they start to trend downward.  If they get into the tank it can be very difficult to bring them back up. 

The one thing I'd suggest is using real butter, rather than Frankenbutter. Otherwise sounds all good to me.  Your tastes will evolve, and eventually you'll expand the menu.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

acbbrown
on 2/17/16 7:18 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I'm perfectly fine with my limited diet. Make life simple. I make sure I have a good balance of nutrition in the few things I do eat. I'm a huge fan of crock pot meals these days so I usually end up eating the same thing all week. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 7:44 pm

A limited diet is fine. 

Some WLS patients take a longer time to adjust to being able to tolerate certain foods. For many the denser proteins are very difficult. Clearly, you are one of those. Vegetables were very hard for me until I was over 6 months out. I tried eating a baby carrot at about 4 months out and got quite sick with the foamies/slimies that lasted over an hour. By the time I was 18 months out, I could pretty much eat anything. Now at 4 years out there is nothing I can't eat which means I have to be very mindful of my choices! 

Enjoy the foods you like right now. try them in different ways. Also, no reason to use fake butter. You can use the real deal. You do need some fats for cell production and brain function. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/17/16 7:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As long as you are getting the nutrients you need, there's nothing wrong with it. The only issue would be boredom.

I recently had nothing but ham for about 9 days. A few months ago nothing but bacon for 5 days, except for one ribeye. I recognize I could eat healthier. But this is what I'm able and willing to do, and I'm 10,000 times healthier than I used to be. I'll shoot for perfect in my next life.

If you can do it, and your labs are good, go for it. You don't need to feel guilty about not eating what someone says you should be.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/16 12:28 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi Billy I love your profile picture lol. I am only 9 weeks out but I am limited in what I eat too. I don't do beef now, it never seems to work out well for me with the exception of pepperoni (which I make chips with). I do mostly chicken, fish/seafood, turkey, cheeses/dairy and a limited amount of pork (and it have to be slow cooked so it is soft such as pulled pork), almonds and of course protein shakes daily. It makes my meal planning easy, I don't personally get board because I like what I eat a lot. I am willing to make things that spice up my eating enough for me like ricotta pancakes (can be found on http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ ) and taking rotisserie chicken(from Costco) and heating it in a pan with Asian type seasonings and flavors like sesame oil, or making turkey meatballs with a chunk of mozzarella in the middle. I'm totally jealous you can afford crab on the regular (I can every once in awhile for a treat but not very often, in fact I haven't had it since surgery). 

Billy D.
on 2/18/16 10:36 am

No, I am not wealthy...my uncle who owns a Seafood Wholesale co is pretty wealthy.  He is always bringing me crab,lobster, scallops, quahogs, steamer clams and snails that are right off the boat caught fresh here in RI but he imports the King Crab for me and my aunt, his wife.  When I was a kid I worked for him. He's my favorite uncle! lol.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/16 12:30 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

He wouldn't happen to be looking for a sassy redheaded new niece would he? LOL I'm available and he'd be my favorite uncle with all that seafood coming my way too.

Luvmygs
on 2/18/16 10:22 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You will eventually get there. We all experience different levels of healing. You will be able to eat chicken, steak and vegetables soon. Have you tried rotisserie chicken. Thats usually pretty tender. Good luck.

diane S.
on 2/18/16 11:54 am

Hi, what you describe is pretty normal. You are lucky to have a seafood source. You will gradually find other foods appetizing as time passes. I could not eat raw vegetables for over a year. I did eat cooked ones but they had to be pretty mushy. Don't worry and enjoy the king crab.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics