Possible VSG complication but not sure 2yrs out.

4dogsgowild
on 2/17/16 3:04 pm
VSG on 12/13/13

I'm a little over two years out and since I was 3 or 4 months out I had sever hunger pains. Like within 15 min of eating my stomach would growl and roll like I had not eaten all day.  When I asked my doctor he laughed at me and said ya your little stomach is having hunger pains and told me to go see a therapist because the pain is in my head. I asked if it was reflux but he told me no that it is in my head. Up until then I had done great from a starting weight of 260 down to 235 on the day of surg. to 189 in less than three months. Once the stomach issues started I stopped losing and I know I was grazing because I felt hungry and if I ate it would stop rumbling.  I have not seen my doc because when I had scheduled my last appointment his office cancelled me 5 times and never rescheduled the last appointment. So now I don't even want to go back there between what was said to me before and them cancelling so many times.

But within the last 6 months I have really started to gain a lot of weight were I had been holding at about a 15 pound gain . But my problem now is I have had three episodes recently where I would get a sever pain in my mid stomach region. I started taking omeprazole to help with the acid but it does not seem to work. I tried prevacid also but no help. Yesterday I had another attach and I could barely sit my mid stomach area hurt and then I had this burning feeling all the way across right below my rib cage. I had my gallbladder out over 10 years ago but i have also had a similar dull ache on the right side right at the bottom of my rib cage for a few months. Just not sure if this is a complication of the VSG, Has anyone had anything similar. I'm thinking I need to find a new doctor but not sure if that is possible as I don't want to see my original doctor after he blew me off and would not even listen to me and see if there was something going on. I don't get acid up in my throat like normal acid reflux does so not even sure what that part could be.

HW: 260  SW: 238  CW: 202    M1: -23 

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 3:10 pm
emelar
on 2/17/16 3:24 pm - TX

Your original problem sounds like acid.  You may have moved on to ulcers.  In any case, I'd find another doctor and go get checked out.

And you can still get stones stuck in your bile ducts, even without a gallbladder.

happyteacher
on 2/17/16 3:52 pm

I just went though a bunch of stomach issues, and what you are describing match my experience. At first I noticed nausea and acid issues, but intermittently. By the end of the summer I couldn't keep solid foods down. I was given 40 mg omnaprazole twice a day for a week, then tapered it down to once per day. That helped, but still had issues. Gallstones were then diagnosed. Right before that surgery they discovered a very large hiatel hernia- nearly all of the stomach was up in the chest cavity. They repaired the hernia at the same time as removing the gallbladder.

I suspect I still have some lingering issues, but it is only 2 months out so can't be certian that it is not just part of the healing process. I still get the dull ache on the right side of the ribs occasionally, and prior to surgery I thought this was when the gallbladder was acting up. Now I am not so sure. I also have the burning mid abdomen, and that is actually worse than preop. The GERD is much worse. This morning, for example, my stomach was bothering me and by the time I pulled over at a gas station I had a good 8 ounces plus of acid/saliva that collected in the mouth- and that happend in about 1 minute. I am also now having heart palpatations that are associated with this. 

I don't normally get acid up in the throat, even with all of this going on over the last several months.

My advice- go to a gastrointenstinal doctor. This is the one that correctly diagnosed me. My other two doctors (primary, bariatric) intially just thought I was having a little heartburn. It took me not being able to eat for them to realize I needed to be referred out- and I am a cancer patient so typicalyl if I get symptomatic at all they send me in for testing. Also, the endoscopy originally performed did not diagnose the hiatel hernia. It was explained that they can see the inside of the stomach to check for acid, but are unable to determine where the stomach is (i.e. up in the chest instead of where it belongs). A CT and then a upper gi confirmed the hernia.

Also, I also gained weight... up to the point I couldn't keep food down anyway. Exact same thing you described- there is no doubt that acid mimics hunger for me, and the increase in the acid increased the amount/frequency I was eating. I had spent 3.5 years at goal until the acid issues kicked in. Went above goal due to eating, which was triggered by acid. (Please know though, I still take responsibility for what I eat- acid or not I chose to eat those extra calories.) Not being able to eat, gallbladder issues, and surgery dropped my weight down 15 under goal so that part is resolved, but... acid begets eating. Tonight at dinner, within 15 minutes I "felt" hungry though I know I wasn't - 2 ounces of roast, and a little veggies is enough to be satiated for sure. So- acid for sure. 

Get to the doc.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 4:27 pm

I am so sorry that your doctor did not take your symptoms seriously. I had the very same symptoms - the rumbling within 15 to 20 minutes after eating that made me feel as if I hadn't eaten a damn thing! I, too, was concerned. My doc immediately started treating me for an ulcer. That helped, but only a little and the rumbling empty stomach feeling continued after every meal. Then she switched me to a strong PPI (Protonix) twice per day. Within two doses I was symptom free. 

I'm guessing you may have progressed to the ulcer stage, but of course, I'm guessing. I'm no doctor - not even in the medical field. What is clear is that you need to see a doctor ASAP. Please don't wait to schedule an appointment. Gut pain is a very serious matter. It can be life threatening. Please, please get medical care today! 

Best wishes for a complete recovery. 

happyteacher
on 2/17/16 4:35 pm

Hey you, did you get your Instant Pot yet? Hoping you love it!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 7:21 pm

Yes! It came on Monday. I unpacked it, cleaned it up a bit, and will be making yogurt this weekend! Looking forward to it. 

happyteacher
on 2/18/16 2:37 pm

Yea! You have far more self-control than I. I would have been up half the night playing with it!

4dogsgowild
on 2/17/16 5:27 pm
VSG on 12/13/13

I have no gallbladder I had it out about 15 years ago now so I have complications from that were I cannot eat fatty foods or it gives me things similar issues like IBS so I'm use to intestinal craps but this pain was different it felt like hernia (i had a belly button one that was repair during vsg surg.) but the burning feeling kinda scared me. I was afraid I ruptured my stomach. I just don't know how to go about finding another doctor who will see me.

4dogsgowild
on 2/17/16 5:42 pm
VSG on 12/13/13

I have no gallbladder I had it out about 15 years ago now so I have complications from that were I cannot eat fatty foods or it gives me things similar issues like IBS so I'm use to intestinal craps but this pain was different it felt like hernia (i had a belly button one that was repair during vsg surg.) but the burning feeling kinda scared me. I was afraid I ruptured my stomach. I just don't know how to go about finding another doctor who will see me.

Most Active
Recent Topics