What to expect after surgery ???

happyteacher
on 2/17/16 4:29 pm

1 day in the hospital. Couldn't get released until I could show I could get fluids down and a little bit of yogurt. Gas pains was the biggest complaint in days 1-3. I was able to drink liquids no issue and eat the prescribed foods for that phase without issue. Pain (not including gas) was very manageable and no prescription strength meds taken once home. Gas pain improved with walking and after a few day was over.

Meds- crushed all that I could and added it to applesauce. Check with your pharmacist- not all can be crushed. My doc allows swallowing pills up to the size of an M&M if I recall correctly, but I was worried about it so I took the better safe than sorry route. I used chewable vitamins during this time. This lasted for only a couple weeks before I started taking the meds normally again. At first, they got stuck in the throat a bit, but no other issue. I had a hernia repair that I suspect had the swallowing issue related, as the same thing happened again when I went in for another hernia repair.

I lost about 1/3 to half of my hair. I was blessed with super thick hair though. Ended up just cutting it short, and it got crazy curly. Let it go natural. I grew back after a while no issues. Even with the loss my hair would have been considered a normal thinner type hair amount and the curls made it look fuller than what it really was.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

JudithJohnson
on 2/18/16 5:21 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Congratulations on your surgery date! Your doctor's office should give you all the information you need. Every surgeon is different and we all have gone through this in a different way. For me it was out patient surgery. I arrived at the surgery center at 6:30 in the morning and I was checked in, put in a bed with my surgery gown and they did the standard weigh in, blood pressure test and put my IV in. My husband was with me and an hour later they rolled me in to the (freezing cold) surgery room. I was out at 8:30, no complication and when I woke up I felt no pain but a tremendous pressure on my chest. It helped a lot when they sat me straighter up. Due to the fact I don't handle anesthesia well, I was dry heaving all the time. They got me walking as soon as I woke up and had me use the breathing device which helped a lot with the nausea. I was dozing off and on and at 1 PM they helped me get dressed and I was out the door on my way home. I do not recall how I got home and in my bed but at the end of the afternoon I woke up with my 21 year old daughter sleeping next to me and holding my hand :) I remember I had pressure socks on my legs, and with me being a side sleeper I remember figuring out a way to prop a pillow under my belly to get comfortable. I ate nothing but ice chips that day and started protein shakes the next morning. I rested as much as possible and after a few days of a lot of sleep I felt much, much better. Luckily I had no issues with gas or vomiting, so I consider myself lucky :)

You'll do great!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

boudiceatx
on 2/24/16 5:43 pm, edited 2/24/16 9:54 am

When I woke up in the recovery room I didn't have any pain.   I guess they gave me good drugs. I had on a nasal cannula when I woke up and the next thing I know I'm being wheeled to my room.  I was on a PCA morphine pump which is good stuff.  I never felt pain one time in the hospital. I had a little trouble peeing after I got back to my room which is not uncommon following anesthesia, but I left the faucet running and eventually I could pee.  I slept a lot the first day, but I felt good.  I walked when they told me to, and even times when they didn't.  I used the incentive spirometer thing frequently which is kind of hard to do at first following surgery, but just do your best.  They gave me a shot of lovenox in my stomach following my surgery and another one the next morning to prevent blood clots. 

They discontinued my morphine the next morning about 5 or 6AM but it was fine I didn't need it.  I didn't have to wear support hose they had SCDs (those things that go around your calves and puff up with air).  I also had some to take home with me and I could even walk with them on because they had batteries.  If your surgeon doesn't offer you SCD's to take home ask about them, because they are good to have to prevent blood clots and my insurance paid for them (even though insurance didn't cover my surgery).  My surgery was the first of the day so I was able to have my swallow test in radiology the same day after surgery and was cleared for liquids.  They gave me green jello (blech) and coffee and broth and a popsicle. I have heard rumor that they don't like to give you red jello or red popsicles in case you barf and it looks blood, but don't know if that's true.  I never saw cherry or strawberry jello or popsicles on my tray so maybe there is something to that rumor.  I went home about 2pm the day following my surgery.

One thing that will really help with pain is to eat lots and lots and lots of ice chips.  It helps with the swelling.  You can get bags of it at Sonic.  The surgeon told me to eat popsicles and broth and liquids that had calories since I wasn't getting any food, and honestly I got sick of sweet popsicles so I ended up ditching the popsicles after a while and drinking coffee instead (probably not the best idea since it didn't have calories but it felt soothing on my stomach).  Honestly, I didn't have much pain.  I felt some pain in my shoulder for a while after surgery I think because they cut a nerve, but it was never bad enough to take pain meds and it went away.  I had a refill on my Lortab and Phenergan, but I never even used the refills.  In fact, I didn't even finish my first bottle of Lortab and I think I only took the Phenergan once or twice.  Overall my surgery went pretty smoothly.  It was ten times better than a tonsillectomy.  You'll be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics