Difficulties with "last hurrah" eating

ksheldon28
on 2/16/16 7:12 am

Hello Everyone! 

This is my first post in OH, so glad to have found a support area as I start this journey! Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced "last hurrah" eating?  I'm 3 months into the pre-op phase, looking at a July surgery date.  I noticed I've gain about 10 lbs since December when I had my first consult with my surgeon.  I feel i'm falling into this "better have it now, because in a few months I won't be able to have it again for a long time" mindset.  It's not that i'm bingeing 24/7, but there is that little voice that says "go ahead and indulge a little now, while you still can".  I want to stop that voice before it gets too loud! Has anyone else struggled with this?  Any tips?  

Sandra F.
on 2/16/16 8:17 am

I think everyone has food funerals.  Just try not to binge too much.  Sorry, no tips to give you, as I am struggling with eating the wrong things and I am 16 months out from surgery.  Trying my best to lose the last 15-20 but having such a hard time.  Good luck to you.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/16/16 8:28 am - MI

I'm with you, 16 months out and i want to lose the last 5 to 10. 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/16/16 8:27 am - MI

I kind of did what you're doing. I had the mindset well I may as well eat this now because I won't be able to have it. I saw a weight gain during my six month pre op phase and I was able to speak with my psych and rope it in a bit. He was helpful in making me see the bigger picture. Your recognizing it and that is 1/2 of the battle. Good luck to you....the good thing is you have time to figure it out.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/16/16 8:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Search the forums for the phrase "food funeral." It's pretty common and you can see how others have dealt with it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Renren
on 2/16/16 11:13 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I started to do that a few times before my surgery. But I would just remind myself that this is not the last time I can have my favorite foods. A while after your surgery you will be able to have these foods again (on occasion) just won't be able to gorge yourself. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

acbbrown
on 2/16/16 11:50 am - Granada Hills, CA

I was kind of one of a rare kind that didn't have a food funeral. I decided from the get go - from the day that I began looking at WLS - that my ultimate goal was to lose weight and get healthy. I wanted to lose as much weight as I could prior to surgery so I could be that much closer to my goal. 

I did have the thoughts - more of feelings of sadness that I might miss some things post op - but elected not to focus on those. At almost 5 yrs out - there's nothing I can't eat so in retrospect those feelings were silly. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Neesie57
on 2/16/16 5:11 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I didn't have a food funeral either.  The night before I had to start my liquid pre-op diet, I chose to eat salmon with veggies and fruit for my last meal for a month.  It didn't make me feel deprived, it made me more ready to get up the next day and "get on with it".  

This has been such a life changing experience for me, that I'm hoping that I can keep up the exercise and great feelings I'm having now.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

JudithJohnson
on 2/16/16 4:20 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

I did not have any "food funerals", I was so done with being sick and tired of dragging my weight around that when my surgery was scheduled, I even started eating more like I would after surgery, only in larger portions. I am only 2 and a half months out and I can eat anything I have tried so far. I yet have to encounter a food that doesn't stay down, I can just only eat a little bit at the time. Missing out on food is only temporary, and once you come out of surgery, your relationship with food will change and you will no longer have the desire to eat all the foods you think you're going to miss so much now. Eating is no longer a pleasure for me, it's a task I need to perform in order to fuel my body. I don't look at food the way I used to anymore, everything has changed. If I even so much smell pizza I feel sick. I am sure I could eat it but I simply do not want to because it no longer fits into the lifestyle I am choosing. If you need to indulge, I suggest you only indulge in very small portions so you don't gain weight before your surgery.

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

ksheldon28
on 2/17/16 9:22 am

Thanks everyone for the input!  I had not heard the term "food funeral". That's exactly what it felt like! I've already started to get back on track with watching portions and focusing on healthy, whole foods.   

Most Active
Recent Topics