Weird Weight Loss

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/17/16 3:57 pm, edited 2/17/16 7:56 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On February 16, 2016 at 4:41 PM Pacific Time, Hydrogirl wrote:

There is no way I am eating to much if im not even hitting a 1000 calories plus all the exercise I do. In fact I think im not getting enough based on my very active lifestyle and have brought on starvation mode. It makes no sense at all to reduce even more. 

I would never lose eating 1000 calories a day -- and I have over 800 days logged to prove it.  To lose, I must eat under 850 calories and 35 grams of carbs... over 851 to 1100, I am strongly in maintenance.  I work on my feet teaching, walk a campus and work out nearly every day.  

I would dump the myth of starvation mode.. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/16 8:46 am

Also, that meal was what I had yesterday, some days are more perfect then others with the meat and veggie combos but my nut said i am doing fine with my choices. Im not looking for food critique. My question is am i in a stall since im still losing, but rediculously slow. Could I be in starvation mode?

rocky513
on 2/16/16 11:36 am, edited 2/16/16 3:38 am - WI

No, you could not be in "starvation mode" because you still have fat to burn.  Your body will burn fat for fuel.  You really only have to feed it protein so it doesn't steal protein from your muscles.  At this point if you take your vitamins, get the required protein, and drink your fluids you will be nutritionally sound.  If you weighed 92 pounds and were eating almost nothing, your metabolism would slow dramatically, but that's not the case here.

If you are feed yourself too many carbs, the body burns that first for fuel.  Eating low carb/ high protein forces your body to burn the excess fat for fuel.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

ladygodiva1228
on 2/16/16 11:40 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On February 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Hydrogirl wrote:

Also, that meal was what I had yesterday, some days are more perfect then others with the meat and veggie combos but my nut said i am doing fine with my choices. Im not looking for food critique. My question is am i in a stall since im still losing, but rediculously slow. Could I be in starvation mode?

Starvation mode is a crock of crap.  You are not consuming enough water at all and your protein is questionable.  To many carby things in my opinion. 

You should be getting in a minimum of 80oz of water and 80 grams of protein a day.

At 3 months out I was around 600-700 cals a day and stayed that way until 9 months. 

As a matter of fact I have to go back to under 800 cals a day as I allowed them to creep up to 1000cal and that for me is maintenance as my weight loss has come to a crawl.   I still have over 40lbs to lose and I will do it.  Just this week I have made it a goal to get in 50.8oz of water before noon time and the last 2 days I have succeeded in doing so.  I then get in another 50.8oz for the rest of the day.  That makes 101.6oz of water a day and I feel so much better.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/16/16 11:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Hydrogirl wrote:

You are not losing "ridiculously slow." WLS is not magical and your weight will not magically melt off overnight.

A stall, per my surgeon, is 4 weeks without weight loss. You can't possibly be in a stall if you're still losing, even slowly.

The typical pattern is a LOT of weight loss in the first few weeks, and then it slows to 1 - 2lb per week with stalls here and there. If you're expecting to keep up the early loss patterns, you will be sorely disappointed.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 2/16/16 8:57 am - TX

There's no such thing as starvation mode.  Not for us.  Maybe for folks in third world countries that are actually starving to death.

Your weight loss in and of itself isn't terrible.  You've lost 81 pounds since your supervised diet started.  That's pretty damned good.  If you want to move things along, increase your protein and water.  If you stay stalled, whether you like it or not, you'll need to reduce calories.

And a word about exercise:  Exercise is a wonderful thing.  It's good for your heart and your mind.  It's not so good to hang your weight loss on.  And if you're using the "calories burned" counter on My Fitness Pal or on the machines, I can tell you that they LIE, big time.

Ladytazz
on 2/16/16 12:52 pm

You lost around 50 lbs before surgery.  From what I've seen people who lose a lot before surgery tend to lose a bit slower because they have already gotten the big drop that comes from early weight loss.

So, even if you are 3 months post op you will lose more like a 6 month (or however long you were on your supervised diet) and after 6 months weight loss slows down significantly.

Look at it this way, if you did not do a supervised diet and just had surgery you would have lost that 50 lbs by 3 months, or whatever.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Gwen M.
on 2/16/16 1:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

In addition to what everyone else is saying, your liquid consumption is disturbingly low.  48 ounces is not enough.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 5:12 am

Oh now I see the concern about the liquid. I didnt put it all in there. Im avg 64 to 70 oz a day. Should have proofread before posting.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/16 5:14 am

I had my 3 month post op with my nut yesterday and they think i need to up my protein due to the exercise. Otherwise they are happy with my choices.

Most Active
Recent Topics