Weird Weight Loss

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 10:06 am

Am I in a stall? Im 3 months post op and have lost 30 lbs since surgery. 15 lbs in the first 2 weeks, the last 15 lbs in 2.5 months. Its so unbeleivably slow.

What is going on, im too early out for me to already have hit the slow down. I still have 80 lbs to go.

Current Weight 215, Surgery Weight 245, Supervised Diet Weight 296. I get all my protein and liquids. Fiber is a struggle, and my hair loss just started and boy is it a shocking amount.

I exercise approx 7 hours/week with cardio and strength training.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/15/16 10:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you weighing and tracking your food? How many  calories are you eating? How much protein?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 5:58 pm

Yes I am, my tummy will allow for 2 oz of meat and 1 oz of veggie and thats it. I eat 4xs a day and stick with low fat/cal/carb options. Im getting in about 1000 calories. My nut said im on track with food.

rocky513
on 2/15/16 11:01 am - WI

Give us a detailed list of what and how much you are eating in a day and we can troubleshoot for you.  It's hard to answer your question without that info.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/15/16 3:45 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's hard to tell without knowing what you're eating.  How many calories do you eat in a day?  How much water are you drinking?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 6:06 pm

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1piece of bacon

8 oz syntrax nectar shake w/ skim milk

Lunch: 2 oz chicken, 1 oz broccoli

Water: 16 oz

Snack: 6 tortilla chips with bean and cheese (i get hungriest around 2 pm)

Water: 16 oz

Dinner: 1 small party taco, meat cheese lettuce only

Water 8 oz

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 10:38 pm

Okay, I'm going to be totally honest with you. Also, I want you to keep in mind I am only giving you my opinion and going off my own personal experience. 

At three months out I at roughly 650-700 calories per day. My carbs were always under 40 grams and my protein was always at least 80 grams per day. 

I ran your sample day through my tracker and it came to 740 calories, 39 grams of fat, 36 carbs, 71 protein. Now, if this is really an accurate accounting of what you're eating you're pretty much on track, but some tweaking might be in order. If you are really closer to 1000 calories per day, I'd recommend you drop your calories (again, my opinion, what worked for me). 

Things I'd change: Drink more water. A lot more water. You're drinking about half what my doc an nut recommended to me. The second thing I'd do is completely rethink your snack and dinner. If you get hungry at 2:00 eat something that will give you some nutritional value. The carbs in that snack are about 19 grams (I estimated 3 TBS of beans and 6 chips, 1/2 oz cheese.) That gives you a whopping 10 grams of fat, too, but only 6 grams of protein. I think you'd be better off with a protein forward snack -jerkey, sliced meat, 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt, hard boiled egg. I'd also ditch the party taco. It's a processed food high in saturated fat and only moderate protein (and the quality of the protein is debatable).

I know I sound harsh, and I'm sorry, but I think if you rethink your eating style you may see the weight loss you desire. A motto I learned very early on to describe an eating style to live by served me well: Lean, Green, and Clean. If you stick to foods that are lean, clean (unprocessed), and green vegetables - both leafy and later on more dense. 

My advice is meant with all the best intentions. Take what you like. Leave the rest. 

Best wishes for weight loss that meets your expectations. 

mmsmom
on 2/16/16 5:09 am - Woburn, MA

sounds to me like you are eating too much for weight loss.  Basically you are eating 2 breakfasts - cut one out.  Lunch sounds good - snack sounds like a bad choice and dinner could use some improvement.  Eat a dinner more similar to your lunch - lean meat with a little veg and change up your snacks to something like a 100 calorie yogurt.  I stay away from anything with fructose.   Good luck, you've got this!

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/16 8:41 am

There is no way I am eating to much if im not even hitting a 1000 calories plus all the exercise I do. In fact I think im not getting enough based on my very active lifestyle and have brought on starvation mode. It makes no sense at all to reduce even more. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/16/16 10:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Oh no. Please erase anything you think you know about starvation mode from your memory. It's all bull**** Add that to the big mound of misinformation about what people think they are burning through activity.

While I was losing, I ate very low calories. Almost no carbs. Based on what Fitbit and MyFitnessPal told me I was burning, compared to what I was eating, I was negative one thousand calories or more, every single day. That would be the very definition of starvation mode. But for almost a year, I lost at least some weight, every single week. Every. Single. Week.

My body never shut down. I never went into "starvation mode." I weighed and tracked every bite of food, every day. I never ate 2 ounces of chicken, or 3 ounces of steak. I ate 2.05 ounces of chicken, or 3.15 ounces of steak. Being exact matters, a lot.

I kept spreadsheets and graphs of what I ate and my activity, every day. I printed reports for each week, and each month. And subtracting what I burned from what I ate gave me what I lost. It was simple math, and very accurate. Starvation mode is nonsense. Eat less, lose more. That's simple science.

Some people fall into the lure of eating more to weigh less. In the end they are extremely unhappy they did.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics