Day 2 of pre-op liquid diet and terrible taste in my mouth

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 7:54 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

I have had the strangest taste in my mouth these last 2 days, like metallic yet fruity almost sweet. It is the strangest thing. 

I have been having nothing but Atkins protein shakes, chicken broth, water, SF jello, SF italian ice. I wake up with this taste in my mouth and it stay with me all day.... has anyone else dealt with this? 

thank you 

Jen 

rocky513
on 2/4/16 8:06 pm - WI

It's called ketosis.  When your body does not have carbs to burn as fuel, it turns to your fat stores.  When you startn to burn fat, you get a funky taste in your mouth and bad breath.  It's normal.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 8:47 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Ok thank you, that was quick, I did not think Ketosis would kick in so fast, I have ketone strips I am gonna chk it in the am. Well hopefully I see a difference on the scale then, guess I need gum or something cause this is embarrassing haha. 

CMR1075
on 2/4/16 9:33 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Oh that ketosis is awful. Makes me feel so so so thirsty too! I still have it because I am only 3 weeks post op tomorrow. It's been going on since I started my liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery. I can't wait for that taste to go away! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/16 7:26 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

I really can't believe how fast my body went into ketosis!! I have been on low carb diets and this never happened, so makes me think I was not restricting enough. this makes me feel embarrassed with my boyfriend but just need to get some SF popsicles for sure 

thank you!! 

JudithJohnson
on 2/5/16 3:15 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Welcome to ketosis! It causes horrible taste in your mouth and bad breath and I had it for a week after surgery but once I started eating soft foods it went away. Just a phase you have to work through. I didn't have a pre op liquid diet so I only had it for maybe a week and a half at the most. Ice chips and sugar free popsicles were my best friend during that stage!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/16 7:25 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

haha ok great thank you!!! I should have known since I have been on a low carb diet before but I guess I did not restrict my carbs enough as I do not remember this taste in my mouth!!! Fun fun every hour of this liquid diet i keep thinking to myself is this really worth it, and quickly remind myself that it so so so is!!! To feel better, sleep better, and look better and add a few years to my life,,, you betchya it is,,, so I will struggle and push through, today is day 3!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/16 11:03 am

Yes yes it is worth it!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/16 10:57 am

YAY! Ketosis! What an awesome place to be. Fat Burn Central! 

The taste will go away within a week or so. Brushing your tongue and drinking a lot of water helps. Gum works, too. Sugar free lozenges/candy/cough drops all help ease that foul taste. Hang in there. I promise you it does go away! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/16 6:57 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

well it best start burning the fat soon!! I have only dropped 2 lbs since I started 2/3 :( I am doing everything right, and the tast in my mouth is stronger than ever.... fingers crossed so I make my surgeon happy!!! 

Thank you for the advice!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics