should I go for gastric bypass after my failure In sleeve

christine2509
on 2/3/16 7:15 pm - canyon country, CA

Well I had my sleeve gastractomy surgery and I lost 130 lbs and I started gaining the weight after I had depression phase and I took anti depressant I gained nearly 50 lbs then I got married and I started putting more weight..now I'm heavier sadder and I feel hopeless I want to go back where I was but I lost all my ability to do anything and I have nothing but crying and looking at my pictures..should I think of gastric bypass although I can't afford to pay for it.. did any of you experience this please I need all ur support 

White Dove
on 2/3/16 8:20 pm - Warren, OH

A second weight loss surgery only helps if you are willing to change your eating and exercise habits.  If you are willing to do that, then you can lose weight without another surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/3/16 8:50 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Your tool is still there. It'll work if you return to the method in which you lost weight originally.

Another type of WLS will not work magically to make you lose weight. You have to make permanent changes in what you eat. Period.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/3/16 9:13 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Depression & mental issues are hard to handle & it'd be best to deal with that first. Your sleeve probably still works but you've stopped working it, go back to basics & you'll be able to get the weight off again. A sleeve to rny is a complex procedure & you'll have to search around for a skilled surgeon to do this kind of revision. 

Work with what you have & get your head back in the game, revisit revisions when you're a little more stable, mentally & financially.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

acbbrown
on 2/3/16 9:29 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I'd assume a revision to RNY would be a huge risk to your body - even greater than the original surgery. To be honest, it doesn't sound as if it would help you. The RNY is not really any stronger of a tool than the sleeve in the long run. You really really need to look at why you gained the weight and fix those issues. I can tell you that I had lost 230 lbs but put back on a substantial amount because my mental health was not under control. I was seriously depressed with extreme anxiety. I ate and ate to try and cope. Once I hit rock bottom, I walked in to an Overeaters Anon meeting and my life changed and I'm finding it quite easy to take off the regain. I know it might sound silly but it's a great program for those of us that struggle with controlling our intake even after  very drastic surgeries. Please message me if you'd like to talk about it - my here to help or support you in any way. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 9:59 pm

I understand your sadness, frustration, and depression. I had significant regain, too. I was very depressed, angry, disappointed in myself, and felt like a failure. 

I had two things that helped me a great deal. The first was I had a sense of hope that never left me. It was hiding on some days, but it was always there somewhere deep inside. I knew that somehow I would recover. The second thing I had in my favor was that I stayed close to the WLS community. I was still a regular here throughout my regain. I attended support groups and stayed in touch with my WLS friends.

What finally worked for me to stop the regain and get on the losing path again was a commitment to dealing with the emotional aspect of my eating. It was and is hard, but I'm so happy I am dealing with those issues. One of the first things I had to do was stop dieting. I do not diet any more - EVER. I have had to experiment to find what works for me food wise, discover what my subconscious triggers are (you know those times you eat when you don't know why you're really eating, but you feel driven and can't seem to stop), and learn to be kind, accepting and compassionate of my eating foibles. I also know that I will never be perfect in my eating and that no one else is either. We all eat "off plan" sometimes and that's okay. Life happens. 

There are a lot of books you can read that will help you understand your eating and you will learn that some of the things about your eating are actually physically beyond your "will power". One of my favorite eye opening books was Robert Lustig's Fat Chance. The first chapters of Intuitive Eating also resonated with me (though I'm not a fan of how many people interpret the eating plan). 

I am 4 years out and have great restriction once again (as long as I eat in a sleeve appropriate way - protein centered). I've been able to lose a great deal of my regain and am only just over 10 pounds away from my goal weight. It has taken me much longer to lose the weight than my weight loss phase right after VSG, but it's worth it. I'm not "dieting". I'm eating in a sustainable way, eating foods I love. I've gained a sense of inner strength and confidence because of what I've learned about me and my relationship with food. 

I'm happy to help you to get back on track in any way I can. I know it is possible! Please feel free to PM me.

Best wishes!  

Kathy2852
on 2/5/16 5:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

do you find that you can eat more than 3 oz of food?  Is it possible to stretch the stomach?  I gained almost half after lapband but I was always able to eat quite a bit. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/16 6:26 pm

Sure I can eat more than 3 oz of food. I eat about a cup to 1 1/4 cups by volume I think. I always weigh my meat out to 3-3.5 oz. Then I have either a 1/4 or 1/2 cup of veggies along with that. Last night for example I had 3.5 ounces of pork loin, a sliced mini pickle and about a 1/3 cup of sauerkraut. That was too much. I ended up leaving 1/2 ounce of meat and about a third of the sauerkraut. 

From what I understand it is hard to stretch the sleeve, but it is possible. My surgeon says that chronic over filling the sleeve can cause an increase in capacity over time. I have found the key is to greatly reduce carb intake and restriction comes back like gangbusters after a few days. I'm keeping my carbs to about 10-15% of my daily macros currently and my appetite is minimal and my restriction is very good. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/4/16 9:05 am - MI

Are you currently seeing a therapist? What about going back to where you started post surgery...following the guidelines to the T, measuring and weight everything consumed? Are you exercising? I have found exercise not only helps me physically, but mentally too. Its time for me to check out of the craziness of life and focus purely on me. Re-focus and get your mind right so you can get you body right! I don't think all is lost here! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

psychoticparrot
on 2/4/16 2:02 pm

It sounds like your regain is due to mental and emotional causes, not physical, so having an RNY will do nothing to help you long-term. You need to stop crying, stop looking at pictures, and stop living in the past. Deal with what you can do right now. Some of this is repetitive, but ...

1. Overeater's Anonymous.
  2. Therapy.
  3. Restart eating the way you did when you first had the sleeve -- Protein first. 64 oz. water daily, measure and track every morsel that you eat, a few non-starchy vegetables and fruit, regular exercise. You did it before; you can do it again.
  4. Ban, absolutely completely banish, all junk carbs from your home. If your husband doesn't like it, then he loves his snacks more than he loves your good health. Tell him to go out and eat his ice cream and pizza outside the home and don't bring any leftovers back. I don't know how much, if at all, he's part of the problem, but if he is, he needs to learn how to help you. If he's not part of the problem, my apologies.
  5. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I know it's hard. It takes practice. When you get teary about the past, replace those thoughts with what you can do right now to think in better and more helpful ways. Self-confidence, just like self-pity, is a habit. Habits can be changed.
  6. Adopt this as your new motto:  "If you don't leave your past in the past, it will destroy your future. Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Good luck and keep us posted.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics