Started my pre surgical liquid diet for my surgery 2/17

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 10:30 am - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

How am I going to get through 2 weeks of fluids only!! Did anyone else have to do this and if so how did you get through this difficult stage? 

LosinginAZ
on 2/3/16 11:15 am

Hi Jenn. I know it seems scary and feels impossible, but it is doable! The protein shake really helps with the hunger pangs, and really all you are left with is head hunger and the desire to put actual food in your mouth. For me I made sure to eat jello for breakfast, jello for lunch, and broth for dinner, so it felt like I was eating meals. Then I would have 3 to 4 protein shakes a day, plus unlimited sugar free popsicles. I ate A LOT of popsicles. I would sometimes take them off the stick and break them into small pieces. Then I would eat it with a spoon, like real food :P Good luck, you can do it!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 2:22 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you so very much!!!!! I just stocked up on sugar free italian ice, SF pops, SF hot chocolate, Broth and SF jello!! I like your idea of having jello for each meal, thank you so much and awesome job on your WL!!!! 

psychoticparrot
on 2/3/16 11:41 am

Presurgery liquids are the only stage throughout the whole sleeve process that you'll just have to practice sheer will power for. You don't yet have your sleeve to curb your appetite, so it's tough to get through it. But it's critical that you do get through it and don't wander off to eat other foods, as this can make your surgery much more difficult and dangerous.

The first three days are the worst. After that, it seems like your body says, "Oh well," and staying on the liquids becomes easier. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 2:23 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you so very much!!! I want this so badly that as hard as  this is I just need to get through this! Great job on your WL!!! 

ubserved
on 2/3/16 2:40 pm

I feel you, I was the same way 3 months ago when I started mine. How am I going to handle fluids only for that long while others in my home are eating whatever. It really wasn't all that hard over all. To be perfectly honest, the first 4-5 days sucked out loud. I am assuming that is the time frame you go through carb withdraw. After that initial 5 days, it was like a switch was flipped and became so much easier. I drank my protein shakes, about 5 per day. I drank my zero calorie Sobe Lifewaters, and I ate as much sugar free jello that I wanted to give me that full feel. If I never see jello again I will count myself as lucky, but it did serve it's purpose. I probably ate more jello in that two week period than I have in the last 10 years. That said, I lost 30 pouns prior to surgery in 12 days, it was amazing, it also focused my eyes on the prize, a better and healthier me. It also prepared me for the liquid phase after surgery and the fact it shrinks your liver considerably which makes your surgery that much easier not to mention safer for you. We all have had to do it, you will be able to as well. Good luck to you and let us know how you are progressing.

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 3:52 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Thank you so much!!! Feels so good to see I am not alone. I am so glad I found this site!! WOW 30 lbs in 12 days!! So far on day one I am doing ok.. Just like you said , gotta keep the eye on the prize!!! When you want something bad enough you will get it done!!! 

thank you again !!! 

Kcc216
on 2/3/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 02/17/16

Hi Jenn!

We share the same surgery date! I started my pre surgery diet today too, luckily I get to have  one "regular" meal a day-a protein and a  vegetable and replace the other 2 meals with protein shakes. No snacking was the most difficult for me today. Hopefully, the next 2 weeks will fly by for us!  :)

Good luck!

Kim

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 7:43 pm - Uxbridge, MA
VSG on 02/17/16

Hi Kim, that is awesome!! Your are so lucky you get to eat a little!! I am starving lol 

well keep in touch!!!The 17th will be here before we know it !!! 

Best of luck!! 

Jennifer 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/4/16 8:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The first few days stink, no question about it. But then it gets easier. It's almost like you are detoxing.

Hang in there.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics