Post gallbladder surgery- from not being able to eat to struggling with carbs

happyteacher
on 2/2/16 4:03 pm

What a crazy ride this stomach issue process has been. I went from first diagnosed as an acid issue, then gallstones, and then literally sitting on the preop table adding in a large hiatel hernia repair. Next came the inability to eat much and pretty much not being able to digest anything. That finally seemed to turn the corner last week. And this week? Carbs, worse than I have ever noticed before. Not junk carbs per se, but just carbs. I seem to tolerate them pretty well post surgery- and Karik warned of this. Good thing too- because now, all of a sudden, I went from being a little concerned about dropping too much weight to keeping it off again. Sheesh. I would just like a happy medium please!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Paula1965
on 2/2/16 4:31 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Thanks for the warning! I get my GB out on Friday. I already don't have a problem eating too many carbs!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

happyteacher
on 2/2/16 5:36 pm

Careful careful with any amount of fat in your food. It can be a rather explosive experience   Sweets did it too during the first two weeks or so. If you have frequent sprints to the bathroom they can give you medicine for it that really helps- in hindsight I wish I would have asked for it at 2 weeks out instead of struggling to 4 weeks out. It feels like the carbs soak up the bile or something- hence seemingly craving them far more than my normal. i ate pasta tonight- and I never eat pasta!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 2/2/16 4:41 pm

In a way it makes sense that your body would tolerate carbs so well at this point. They're the easiest foods to digest, so your body is probably going, "Mmmm........carbs." I would guess that as you heal further, you'll be able to add the more-difficult-to-digest proteins that you need. I imagine fats may be problem for a while yet. This is all based on what I've heard from others who have had GB removed, not from personal experience (yet).

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 6:08 pm

Deli turkey, soft boiled eggs or scrambled eggs with very little fat, deli roast beef or ham - great choices for post GB surgery. I lived on those things for several weeks. Remember, the lower the fat the quicker your liver will stop producing so much damn bile!

As for carbs, I hear you. It was recommended to me at the time  (I was still MO) to eat a 1/2 banana, Blueberries, well cooked oatmeal and other cooked cereals, PLAIN pasta (how much of that can you really eat) and to drink a ton of water. If you're going to eat a larger carb load, I'd recommend eating carbs that are lower on the glycemic index. That ought to help with evening out the blood sugar spikes and keep cravings to a minimum.

You have the hiatal hernia, too, which means you have to go easy on the harder to digest proteins for a while, but by now you should be able to eat a protein centric diet. 

happyteacher
on 2/3/16 1:50 pm

The choices have opened up for sure, but still not ready to eat steak. The digestion thing is doing very well- still a bit symptomatic, but nothing that requires sprinting. The carb thing is killing me though. I am also noticing my capacity "seems" larger- which for me is always an indication that I am overdoing it on the carbs. The scale also agrees that I need to dial it back. But dang... I liken it to when I take steroids- anything and everything (carby) is calling me. Definetly need to work on watching the glycemic index, as that should help. The bowl of pasta last night not so easy on the glycemic level!

Most Active
Recent Topics