when does your body stop losing?

Dpannell
on 2/1/16 7:18 pm

im 9 months post op. Have went from 244 to 123. ( just got weighed today at Dr) and I was wandering when does your body know when to stop losing? I was told you usually lose up until your a year post op for sure and then possibly more afterwards. I don't wanna,lose too much more. I wanna stop about 115 at the lowest..prefer to stop at 120.,so will my body just stop or what??

ChemistryQueen
on 2/1/16 7:42 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure your body stops losing when you start putting more calories in it!

That's the point in your surgery journey your dietitian or surgeon would call your maintenance! If you haven't talked to one of them about it, you might want to! But congrats on the awesome weight-loss so far!

Highest Weight: 385 (09/2014)

Surgery Weight: 331 (1/2016)

Current Weight: 157.4 (7/2017)

-VSG with Dr. Erik Dutson at UCLA on 1/11/2016-

-Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) and Abdominplasty (Tummy Tuck) with Dr. Jason Roostaeian at UCLA on 8/23/2017

Want to WATCH me on my journey? Check out my youtube channel HERE!!

Dpannell
on 2/1/16 8:33 pm

I've been eating about 1,000 calories a day. That is the max I can hold. My nutritionist says some people can hold more, some can't. I just happen to be one of the ones that can't. I follow everything textbook like my Dr says

acbbrown
on 2/2/16 5:17 am - Granada Hills, CA

If you find you're still losing at 1000 cals, you can try adding some healthy fat to your meals like avocado/olive oil , or grab a handful of almonds for a snack and that will give you a couple hundred calorie boost and stop you from losing. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 2/1/16 7:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Your body doesn't "know" anything. When you are eating the same amount of calories as you burn, you'll stop losing (or gaining.)

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

acbbrown
on 2/1/16 7:45 pm - Granada Hills, CA

When you start eating as many calories as you are burning. If you want to know a good estimate of the number of calories you burn and where maintenance point might be, you can do something like a bod pod test (google it). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

White Dove
on 2/2/16 9:45 am - Warren, OH

I went through a "magic" time for about a year when I stayed at 128 no matter what I did.  I still had malabsorption and was not eating any white carbs, but I was not tracking anything either.  I thought that I was cured of obesity.

Then one month the scale when to 131 and I laughed, but it went up three pounds the next month and the month after that.  I was not weighing at home then and seeing my doctor once a month that summer.  When I hit 142, I finally realized that the magic was over.  I had to start weighing at home and counting calories.

I did look too skinny at 128 and work on staying at my doctor's goal of 136.  The year of being too skinny was fun though.  If you do nothing to regain your weight, your body will find a way to overcome the effects of being starved and weight will come back.

If I had it to do over, I would have tracked all protein, fat, fiber, protein and carbs from day one and I would have kept the scale out and weighed myself everyday.  That is what I do now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dpannell
on 2/2/16 5:06 pm

I track my protein, my intake, get my fluids in. 

KathyA999
on 2/2/16 5:34 pm

I can't speak for your food plan, but for me, if I had added carbs back in, in the form of bread, pasta, and such, to try to tinker with my weight loss, it would have been a slippery slope straight downhill to disaster.  I'm a carb addict, and (unlike Oprah, LOL) I can't be messing with that stuff.  I just kept on with my food plan, and my weight fell quite a bit below my goal - all the way to 132, when my goal was 150.  (BTW, the only reason I set a goal was so I could have a little goal tracker in my signature.  I picked 150 out of the air.)  I stayed at 132 for quite a while, and slowly drifted upwards as capacity increased.  People told me I looked too thin, but I paid no attention, I absolutely loved that weight, and I foolishly bought a bunch of clothes for that size that now are just a little bit too tight.  (Unlike size changes at 250 lbs, where I could go up or down 20 lbs and still be in the same size, 10 lbs makes a difference these days!)

In summary, I just kept on keeping on, and the weight took/takes care of itself.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Dpannell
on 2/3/16 6:44 am

Yeah, i refuse to do the bread, pasta carbs. Those things got me there in the first place. Won't be tempted by them again. 

Thank you, I will just keep on keeping on and let my body take care of itself. I track my protein, my intake, etc. I exercise and do the best I can to maintain what I have lost with the limitations I have with my spine. 

I'm thankful I am off so much medication!!

Most Active
Recent Topics