Wild Caught food

apointedpassion
on 2/1/16 6:23 pm - WA

Hello!  I live in Western Washington near Puyallup.  I love to hunt and fish.  I havent been too successful hunting but still love to go just for the hiking and scenery!  I have recently been introduced to squidding in the Puget Sound and we've made some awesome calamari with fresh squid!  My grandpa got a deer this year and my uncle got an elk so I was given a couple packages of both and I love them all!  I've been told that the secret to game meat is to soak it in vinegar or buttermilk over night to help with the game taste and it also helps tenderize it. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 8:19 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I am pretty familiar with Puyallup. I spent a fair amount of summers there babysitting for family. I really like calamari a ton, especially when we're talking about sushi. As for the buttermilk/vinegar I might have to try that at some point.

ChemistryQueen
on 2/1/16 7:29 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I gotta go against the general consensus and say that venison is probably my all time favorite meat. I wish I could get it here in Los Angeles. I grew up with my Dad scoring some from his hunter friends every so often. With that and wild-caught pheasant, they hold dear memories for me. (And it doesn't hurt that they taste fabulous!)

I'm not a big seafood person, but I've actually been craving it since surgery so hopefully I'll be able to get more into it. But really, right now I live in a horrible area for any wild-caught things. :( You are quite lucky!

Highest Weight: 385 (09/2014)

Surgery Weight: 331 (1/2016)

Current Weight: 157.4 (7/2017)

-VSG with Dr. Erik Dutson at UCLA on 1/11/2016-

-Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) and Abdominplasty (Tummy Tuck) with Dr. Jason Roostaeian at UCLA on 8/23/2017

Want to WATCH me on my journey? Check out my youtube channel HERE!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 8:25 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

That is true LA is not great for wild caught,but I think the amount of restaurants/markets and the availability of a wide array of different types of foods slightly makes up for that. Especially since you have specialty restaurants which cater to the health conscious. But hey feel free to head up my way for some delicious game anytime! I agree I am quite blessed, I also agree about pheasant and also grouse and if you ever get a chance to taste a wild caught turkey, they're amazing and much better than store bought turkey.

Dpannell
on 2/1/16 7:30 pm

We are a family of avid hunters and fishers. We hunt deer and rabbit, fish the Ohio River and truthfully I prefer bass and crappie fillets over a catfish any day!! As for deer, the gamey taste people get is because of the processing. We process our own, make sausage, jerky, etc. As for rabbit, I prefer chicken. Lol but since having vsg I would rather eat tilapia or salmon any day than deer or any other meat

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 8:28 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Crappie is delicious. I have fond memories of childhood and fish fry ups after my grandpa/uncles caught a ton of them on the lake where my grandparents house sits. 

chevtow41
on 2/2/16 7:38 am
DS on 11/11/14

Fresh walleye and perch mmmmmm.... Also venison steaks, stews, jerky, and sausage. I'm lucky to have access to great hunting and fishing here in WI.

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 12:48 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

First of all looking at your signature, holy weight loss Batman! Also I agree perch and walleye are delicious!

chevtow41
on 2/2/16 12:57 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Thanks! I'm actually down 270#'s now but had probs changing my line. 

Most Active
Recent Topics