Instant Pot update

Donna L.
on 1/31/16 9:38 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've made this recipe in it and it's great.  I've also made regular brisket (Jewish) and it's also come out fabulous.  Can't go wrong with an Instant Pot!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

alouisa63
on 1/31/16 2:01 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I love America's Test Kitchen so ran to Amazon to order this book.  I was a little surprised and the mediocre/bad reviews this cookbook got.  I need you to get home, unpack your IP and use this cookbook so I know if I should buy it!!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Donna L.
on 1/31/16 2:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The recipes aren't bad. They just aren't ATK amazing.  It's a great book to start off with.  There's also a ton of internet recipes for electric pressure cookers, too.  Basically, if you like cookbooks get it, but you aren't missing anything by not getting it.  Some of the other ATK books are better and more enjoyable I think.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

psychoticparrot
on 1/31/16 7:07 pm

I just checked the reviews of the book on Amazon. It's rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5, but the actual reviews start with the lowest raters. Don't know why that is, but it gives the impression that no one likes the book. Not so. However, I will say again, I've not yet tried any pressure-cooker recipes from any book yet, so I'm just going by the general high reputation of the American Test Kitchen people.

psychoticparrot

happyteacher
on 2/3/16 1:44 pm

I picked up a copy and it was delivered yesterday. The recipes seem fine- but pretty common. I wonder if many of these were "adjusted" for the other cookbooks. Not my favorite book, but a solid starter book for someone who is in need. I do like the 1 pot meal section.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/31/16 2:10 pm

I am so happy for you that it turned out! Try making your own greek yogurt- super easy! I have used that thing constantly since getting it- hope you love it as much as I love mine! Check out the Facebook group- very active, very helpful, and lots of ideas posted all the time!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 1/31/16 2:55 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yes!  I need to join the FB group.  I'm using mine so much now I'm afraid it will wear out, heh

alouisa63
on 1/31/16 4:48 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I think OH needs an sub category under recipes for the IP!!!  Joined the fb group!

NYMom222
on 1/31/16 6:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My IP arrived today and I have yogurt in it as I write this.... I have always had success with yogurt, so hoping this works out just as well... It will have been worth it just for that.

Might have to but a turkey breast to try... recipe?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

alouisa63
on 1/31/16 7:03 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Found it here  but didn't make the gravy.  After the turkey was done and I removed the meat, added the bones back to the IP, added more water, and hit the soup button.  I ended up with 6 cups of a great stock that I have in the freezer in 1 cup bags :)

Ingredients

• 5 lb. bone-in, skin-on turkey breast
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 (14 oz.) can turkey or chicken broth
  • 1 large onion, quartered
  • 1 stock celery, cut in large pieces
  • 1 sprig thyme
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 tablespoons cold water

Directions

1. Season turkey breast liberally with salt and pepper.
  2. Put trivet in the bottom of pressure cooking pot. Add chicken broth, onion, celery and thyme. Add the turkey to the cooking pot breast side up. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 30 minutes cooking time.
  3. When beep sounds, turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure. When valve drops carefully remove lid. Use an instant read thermometer to check to see if the turkey is done. It should be 165°. If it isn't 165°, lock the lid in place and cook it for a few more minutes.
  4. When turkey has reached 165°. Carefully remove turkey and place on large plate. Cover with foil.
  5. Strain and skim the fat off the broth. (I like to use a fat separator.) Whisk together corn starch and cold water; add to broth in cooking pot. Select Sauté and stir until broth thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Remove and discard the skin. Slice the turkey and serve immediately.

Most Active
Recent Topics