Tired of people asking

Laura in Texas
on 1/31/16 5:03 am

I told people I had weight loss surgery and that I am eating right and taking care of my health. Period. I did not share the particular numbers of how much I have lost. But we all get to choose if we tell or not.

To the one person who is driving you crazy, I would say, "Are you interested in having weight loss surgery? I can give you my surgeon's contact info." (I would say that even if he/she were thin- usually shuts them up real quick).

The comments do stop eventually after you reach goal and people are used to seeing you at that weight. But be very careful NOT to gain or the comments start right back up again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Eggface
on 1/31/16 6:57 am - Sunny Southern, CA

"It's not about the pounds I've lost, it's about the health I have gained."  That usually shut them down for good.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 1/31/16 9:12 am - Warren, OH

You can also just mess with them.  Say something like 12 pounds or 850 pounds. None of their business and you don't have to give them a truthful answer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Wildagain2016
on 1/31/16 4:24 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

I'm laughing in delight because this idea of saying a ridiculous amount made me laugh and then think of something!   Since this is the LAST time I'm losing weight.....what if I added up all the pounds I have lost over the past decades....and just answered that?!  How about an answer like "I have lost one-thousand-three-hundred-and -twenty seven pounds"!   Say it with conviction and pride! Ha!  I might try that. 

LA5767
on 2/1/16 4:55 am

Jealousy comes in all forms

Keep true to yourself and those you love

Other people's thoughts or comments mean nothing, They are not living your life, they do not have

your issues, concerns, nor Health issues.  Forget about it....They are not worth the time you put in typing your post!!

Rise UP Be Proud and Never Surrender!!!

YOU ROCK!!

Karen D.
on 2/1/16 10:31 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I saw an old coworker over the weekend. She knew I had "a" surgery in the fall, but didn't know what because I couldn't attend a funeral she would have been at.  So I see her this weekend and she notices my weight loss and asked what surgery I had.  I told her female issues.  I know she was figuring WLS but I didn't feel like telling her.  She does know that I workout daily and I told her that's what I've been doing.  Some people are on a need to know basis and she didn't need to know!  

Bugrussell
on 2/1/16 11:08 am

I wish others were concerned that i gained 80 lbs rather than me loosing 80lbs!  One of my coworkers told me she thought I was "too thin"  I'm down to a size 14 from a size 20.  I don't think a size 14 is too anything, heavy or thin.  She just has always known me as a size 18-20 so to her it seems like too much of a difference. 

I tell only who I want to tell, knowing that others are telling everyone.  For me, if you hear it from me, I respect you enough to share my life.  If they have to hear it about my surgery from someone else, then that's their problem.

Just keep up the good work and don't worry about the others.

brownblonde
on 2/1/16 11:20 am

I still haven't shared my surgery info IRL except to family and a select few friends who I thought could really benefit from the information.  I sometimes wonder if I should.  Am I embarrassed?  Does it make it look like I am ashamed of WLS or that I feel I should be?  Do I believe the critics?  

For me it's also complicated by the fact that if I out myself I'll be outing my sister as well.

But here's what I've decided on this.

It's none of their business.  And I also don't have to be ashamed.  It's just I've had to deal with critics of my weight for my entire life.  Why even give them an opportunity to bring me down.

Now if someone said something about the "right way" to me I would have to probably unleash my soapbox on them.  

My nice self would say something like:  I support your decision to do whatever you need to get healthy for you.  For me, the right decision was WLS.  It was merely a tool in helping me to achieve better health.  (Laughing kindly) it was not the easy way out for sure.  But I can tell you it was my only way out.

The devil on my shoulder says:  "Girl if you can do it that way go right ahead.  I'm surprised that if it's that easy for you, you haven't done something about it already!"

And at the end of the day I just sit back with the satisfaction that I made the right decision for myself, so nothing else really matters.  Very few people ever ask, honestly.  And I can tell you (unfortunately) that I've been treated much better by strangers over the past 5 1/2 years.  There isn't a gold star for the people who "did it the right way" even if you buy into that stuff.  

FuturePinUp
on 2/1/16 2:39 pm

This is exactly how I feel about the whole situation! I actually even regret sharing with those few friends! I told a close friend about it. He's a really big guy and has been dieting without success for the 5-6 years I've known him - always falling off the wagon. As soon as I was open about it, all I got was "I would never go through such drastic measures! I know I can do it on my own if I really put my mind to it" and I wanted to be like, "So what's stopping you?? All I see is you going on/off diets every few days!" Ugh. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Smallbites2015
on 2/2/16 7:15 am, edited 2/1/16 11:18 pm

Omg I am cracking up.  You all are awesome.  I have to be careful though. I'm in management and some of them are my employees some from colleagues.  My mother is a bit nosey but she always is... Particularly interested in my "loose skin". Really???

i have to re read and commit to memory!!!

Some of these people are like a dog with a bone And just won't let it go ..

I think I'm going to say why do you think is appropriate to ask me how much I've lost when you would never asked me how much I weighed at my heaviest .  

I always find it interesting that people feel like that's appropriate to even comment on your weight !

Most Active
Recent Topics