Pre op diet.. suggestions!?

Mandyymariee92
on 1/29/16 6:47 pm
VSG on 03/28/16

Just wanted to get some suggestions from anyone who has been through their pre-op diet or going through it now,

What helps keep you full? I am actually a little nervous about starting it because I don't want to feel like I am starving for 2 weeks.

I know there isn't much of a selection, but any advice is appreciated!

And, best protein shakes?! 

Jerseydude41
on 1/29/16 7:15 pm
VSG on 02/09/16

Hey Mandy, I just started my Pre-op Diet on Tuesday 01/26/2016 and am really struggling with this very strict diet. I have not cheated but I am very hungry. The protein shakes are very tasty and they do their job but within a few hours I am hungry again and I just am not understanding how these shakes are a food replacement. I am using the GNC lean shakes which come in many flavors. My Doctor has been on a full 2 week liquid diet although they said I can eat egg whites, jello and have one cup of coffee per day. My surgery is on 02/09/2016 and I am excited and nervous. I hope all goes well for you.

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/16 7:29 pm

I found I did best with protein shakes that I  made with lots of ice almost like slushies. I then sipped then slowly for hours. It was kinda like a constant small infusion of protein. I did mix them with low fat milk as well as  the ice plus at times I added a little fruit. Nut said i could also add peanut butter in small amounts up till the last 3 days. I did not try that.

I like the Unjury shake mixes and Body Lab Vanilla.

Good luck . It will be over faster than you think. After the first few days it gets easier and then you are thinking more about getting this over with and moving on with your life than you will food.

Gwen M.
on 1/29/16 7:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My pre-op diet was 5-6 shakes a day. The first 3-4 days sucked, but then it was fine. I had no choices to eat other things to feel full. 

Best shake is a matter of personal opinion. You want something that is whey protein isolate and your best bet is to try out samples from a local store or something like Nashua Nutrition. 

My favorite is optimum nutrition double rich chocolate. I make it with unsweetened almond milk in a blender bottle. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/29/16 8:29 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

My pre op was 100g of protein a day.. I wasn't allowed any milk or dairy during my pre-op, only clear drinks/broths and protein drinks.  I'd make a protein shake using a premier shake and a scoop of inspire caramel latte protein powder (50g) twice a day and split it up so i was getting at least 4 oz of protein every four hours. Then warm chicken, beef or wonton broth. It was difficult until about the 4/5 day.. I napped often those first few days.. lol

9-10 am, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

1-2 pm, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

5-6 pm, 4 oz protein (25g protein)

9-10 pm, 4 oz protein  (25g protein)

Broth or sf jello as I wanted in between.. good luck!

LosinginAZ
on 1/29/16 8:33 pm

I lived on pure protein shakes, sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello. I sometimes would take two popsicles, take them off the stick and put them in a bowl and eat them with a spoon. It would make it seem like food :P 

Good luck!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

FuturePinUp
on 2/1/16 2:55 pm

This was exactly what I did, and when the tummy growlies seemed stronger, I would just chug plain water to give myself some semblance of fullness. It actually helped a lot!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

acbbrown
on 1/29/16 9:42 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I didn't have a preop diet but post op (and even years out) I could live off of Chike Nutrition high protein iced coffee shakes. I mixed mine with unsweetened almond milk, a little artificial sweetener, and lots of ice. The consistency was thick and filling. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Neesie57
on 1/29/16 10:49 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I drank Premier Protein shakes from Costco.  I liked the vanilla and chocolate, but not the strawberries and cream.  I was allowed to mix in PB2 peanut butter powder, but I didn't use it very much. 

It is difficult to stay on the protein shake diet, but you just have to gut it out.  Your surgery is only 2 weeks away, you can do this.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

ubserved
on 1/30/16 1:54 am

I bought the chocolate Premier protein shakes from Costco, they are ready to drink, just toss them into the fridge to get cold and then grab as needed. I too had a problem with always being hungry on the pre-op diet, I compensated with sugar free jello, you can eat as much of that as you want on the pre-op diet. That helped keep your stomach full but with a very minimal amount of calories, I think each pre-packaged cup was 5 calories, don't quote me on that, but it was something like that. I lost 30 pounds in 12 days prior to surgery. I know if I never see jello again I will die a happy person. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics